Have had to give up work, but told I'm not entitled to any benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have had to give up work, but told I'm not entitled to any benefits

maureen1234
maureen1234 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hi my name is Maureen I am disabled I have a heart condition and ive had a couple of heart attacks I also have rheumatoid arthritis, I gave up work on the 3rd October because I was really struggling and I tried to get job seekers allowance or anything and I have been told I cant have anything I don't know how to sort this out

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maureen1234 and welcome to the community. Glad to have you with us.
    I'm not expert enough to answer your question directly, but there are people here who are and who will, I am sure, get back to you in due course. 
    You could perhaps run through this online benefits check https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check?_ga=2.119995149.405444417.1517054923-1832321402.1513208436 and see if that helps.
    In the meantime, please bear with us, but don't hesitate to get back in touch if you think of anything else I might be able to help with.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi maureen and welcome

Try putting your details into one of the online benefit calculators

You may also qualify for PIP, try the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • maureen1234
    I did that and it said I was entitled to 70 pound per week but when I went to sign on they said I wasn't entitled to anything
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @maureen1234 Pleased to meet you Welcome.  I am confused here if you give up work.  Then you do not qualify for Job seekers Allowance.  Only if you wish to work again.  You can not say give up work and get Job seeker Allowance that for people seeking work.

Who wish to sign on.  Please note.  Is that what you wish to do. ?

Please also I would advise speaking to welfare rights or CAB. SCOPE team can advise as well.

It all depends on your circumstances.  Do you have savings or other income .Other sources.  Redundancy payments or salary paid to you.  Sickness or any other finance.  You gave up work on October.  So you must be living on something.

The benefit you should apply for is ESA or also PIP.

Be aware that you may have to be assessed for benefits and disclose your circumstances.  Please can I say DWP do look at your situation for claiming.  There may be a period that they will delay in paying benefit.

Understand this you need to seek some help.  My advice is that.  The team from SCOPE have given you advice.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    Has your GP signed you off with a fit note ?

CR
  • maureen1234
    no ive been told I have heart disease I don't need a sick note because I'm not working but I suppose I could get one if needed
  • maureen1234
    i do get disability because I also have rheumatoid arthritis but its my heart that's not working so well I tried for esa but they said I couldn't get it because I am married and my husband earns enough but I have never taken anything off my husband because I am a person in my own right, I have worked from the age of 16 until now I'm 58 and I have paid into the system and all of a sudden I'm not an individual anymore.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi maureen1234,
    i do hope you can get some financially help.
    i totally understand you needing to keep your financial independence, I too am the same.
    It’s bad enough you cannot work anymore but to find yourself dependent, financially, on anyone is terrible.
    mybe try ringing Scopes helpline or the CAB.

dont give up

Susan
  • CockneyRebel
    I think you need to get f2f advice from CAB or similar who can do a full benefit check for you
    If you gave up work on your own this may have a bearing on what you can claim

CR
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @maureen1234 Thank you letting us know your circumstances.  I wondered why not you could get benefit.

It puzzled me all afternoon when I read your post.  There is why the benefit system who needs it most.  I am agree that you wish to remain independent and be financially responsible.  That is good unfortunately this is the current situation.

Please can I add yes you have worked from 16 to 58 and I do understand that.

So what have you paid in for NI contributions, main thing is it not.  The system is like this.  I met a lady recently who was the same.  Gave up work and has to live off her partner.

As she says I am a kept woman and have an allowance.  You have to be aware of the future is not your main concern.  Try to think of your pension rights and the amount of money .  You will need to cover costs and household bills and the rest.

I myself no I can not work.  More worried about the future I have.  Living costs and being financial stable.

Speak to a financial advisor that is important.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • maureen1234
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    the CAB are brilliant. they will help you to get what you are entitled to.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.