Newly disabled and isolated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Newly disabled and isolated

Blossom223
Blossom223 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone, I have been disabled for around a year, and have not seen any friends nor gone out with any in this time. I am unable to walk and am also unable to push myself in a chair so I am stuck with a transit chair. Which means I would always need someone to help me leave the house and get to meet my friends, which is something I just do not have access to. I am so isolated, and feel like I have lost my whole identity. I am an adult yet I feel like a toddler. Can anyone help me at all on how I can possibly improve my situation? I just want my independence back. I talk to friends on the internet but that is it. It is so upsetting that I am expected to just be isolated indefinitely. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    if you can do so advertise for a buddy there are a lot out here in the same boat and would enjoy anothers help or company

• Blossom223
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @Blossom223
    Welcome....you are among friends here...advice or a chat.......we are here.

I was thinking......do you have a Carer?

A carer would be someone who looks after you for around 20 hours a week and they could claim carers allowance and get their NI contributions paid for too.

The carer could keep you company,take you out and if you have any award to do with your disability such as Pip then apply for a bus pass, a Disabled Rail card, and a disabled cinema card.

Bus pass allows a free companion to accompany you, same with the cinema card and the Rail card gives you both a 30% discount off rail fares.

You can a,so get a free ticket for your carer to concerts and gigs etc........all this will help you retain some independe by getting you out and about so you can have a social life and not feel lonely which is rotten.

Hi. Thanks so much! My mum is my carer but she also works full time so she is not entitled to receive any carers allowance. I just don’t know how I would be able to afford a paid carer. I am currently awaiting a PIP decision. Thank you again for your help 
  • JKC
    JKC Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hi blossom, don't any of your friends come and pick you up or push you round there house to socialize? or do you live out in the sticks somewhere which makes it a little more awkward for them.
  • Blossom223
    @JKC yes out in the sticks unfortunately, 40 mins from all my friends (who do not drive)
  • JKC
    JKC Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    oh dam, that's double bad luck, you must feel fed up and frustrated, what kind of things did you enjoy doing, were you very active before your present circumstances?
  • Blossom223
    @JKC yeah I had an active social life, full time education, part time job, loved to go to the gym and I used to walk a TON. It’s really frustrating that I am certainly not the only person in this situation. Being disabled is so much harder than people believe. Even medical professionals can’t fully understand how it feels.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hello Blossom223
    Im in the same boat. Friends leave when they know your not going to get any better.
    From several circles of friends i now have 3.
    Its a car that us really dissable people need. They told me it would cost £22.000 to set up the car so i could drive it. So i havnt got one.

The "mobility " group thats supposed to help us with having a car was in the papers its got MILLIONS of etc pounds that should be used getting dissabled people mobile.

They wont spebd that money on US they use it to make money

MP's should sortthem out. Then you and i abd all itger disabled people woukd be driving around abd having as normal a life as possible

Lets compain to get Mobility to help us drive
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness