Problems with ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Problems with ESA

Options
craig23
craig23 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hi everyone I am having  problems with my e.s.a 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @craig23, welcome to the community!

What are the problems you're having with your ESA?
  • craig23
    Options
    in 2014 I went on e.s.a because of my depression/ knees and back I went to the doctors and she put me on tablets... I got 9 points on my esesment medical which was a joke, dwp then put me in a suport  group for 12 months after they canceled my e.s.a because I didn't pass the allocated points on the medical again.. this debate went on for months. and stressed me even more, I found out if your condition has changed you can apeal. my scan now shows advance osteoarthritis in both knees and my back, so I have done two mandatory reconsiderations and they have failed my last medical before Christmas this year I couldn't understand the lady doing  the medical, and I had to sit in the chair for an hour most of the stuff I told her she's not even put down...on top of my condition my depression was not great in the medical and was not offerd any support, she told me to turn over my hands and measured my calf muscles then about 5 weeks later my letter said I failed again..
  • Carolecatwoman
    Carolecatwoman Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options
    You really need some help for an appeal against the decisions. Is there a local citizens advice who can put you in touch with a disability rights advisor who can assist in completing the forms and advocate at any hearing of new assessment
  • craig23
    Options
    It's no  just the forms my medical X-ray's and scans that tell everyone who needs to know what's going on.. I've sent medical evidence certificates notes etc...and my condition is worse that last time I claimed..and my doctor wrote to D.w.p this system is failing me and others
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with ESA, @craig23. It sounds really tough.

I agree with Carolecatwoman that contacting your local Citizens Advice could help you get some useful support and advice.

If you're going to appeal, we do have some useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including some resources on tribunals. You may find the following videos of interest - they're relevant for ESA as well as PIP :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tDSlsityY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHjSpNNbQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WEvbFVlQOc

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do get in touch.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.