Daily activities diary — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daily activities diary

rhino1
rhino1 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Hi everybody.   Just a quick question. I've made a weeks diary of activities and the day to day lssues and how they affect me.  Should I keep hold of this and just use it for reference or do I give it to the clerk on the morning of the tribunal or take copies for each of the members of the panel. Any advice would be really appreciated. Many thanks Rhino1

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi rhino

You should send a copy to the tribunal and keep a copy for yourself.
    The clerk will then arrange for copies to the panel and DWP

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • rhino1
    Many thanks. CR  I think I've left it too late to send the diary in as my tribunal is two weeks today so due to this would they be able look at them on the day for their consideration? Many thanks.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You can send in new evidence up to 7 days prior to Hearing date, or no more than 2 pages of A4 on the day.
  • rhino1
    Thanks Matilda, I really appreciate your help. Best regards Rhino1
  • Matilda
    You're welcome, Rhino.
  • rhino1
    Matilda. One last thing which you may be able to help me with, is your experience regards the day of the tribunal.  Did you have a representative with you and was this helpfull . Is there anything that I should be aware of in particular.regarding questions they throw at you       regards rhino1
  • Matilda
    Hi rhino

No, I didn't have a rep.

Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have medical evidence even if it's not recent. The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

Tribunal Hearings are supposed to be inquisitorial as the panel are there to find out what you can and can't do.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  Make sure you relate time to distance.  It takes you X seconds or minutes to walk Y meters.  Giving just a time might make them think you can walk farther than in fact you can.

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge and doctor both seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a lower level of daily living disability (strength, stamina).    Told them I take only a few short car journeys each week.  Don't drive yourself to the Hearing, take a taxi if necessary.

Doc asked how far from my front door was my car parked.  Right outside.

Judge asked if I visit supermarkets.  No, I do supermarket shopping online.

Doc also asked how frequent were my hospital appointments and what meds I take.

Panel based most of their questions on my diary.

Disability person asked about the aids I use and had I been advised to use these or had I decided myself.  Told her the latter, which was true.

Was asked if when out do I use a disabled toilet.

Don't dress up and wear minimal jewellery.  Wear clothes that are easy to put on and with few fastenings.  Jewellery and fastenings could indicate a higher level of manual dexterity than in fact is the case.  People are strongly influenced by what they can see.

Good luck at the Hearing!

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    hi rhino1. i would defintley keep a copy of any medical evidence to show them. i have keep all my letters and medical evidence incase i need it. like matilda said you have to be careful about what you wear and how you do things on the day. they will try and catch you out. i keep a daily diary of how i am able to do things. it will help when it comes to the tribunal. if you are having a good day you might forget what happens on a bad day if you don't write it down.
  • Matilda
    Rhino.  My medical evidence was included in the bundle.  DWP asked me when I applied for PIP if I wanted DLA medical evidence included.  But you can send in additional evidence of any kind up to 7 days before Hearing or even submit not more than 2 pages of A4 on the day.  The Clerk will come out before the Hearing and ask if you have any additional papers for submission.
  • rhino1
    Many thanks again matilda that last reply was a great help regards rhino1
  • louise91
    louise91 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, if you agreed for DWP to use your DLA info, do they already have all your medical history?
  • Matilda
    When I made the initial PIP claim by phone DWP asked if I wanted DLA medical evidence submitted, I agreed and this was included in the bundle.  This evidence was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from when I first claim DLA. I think this would have been the only medical evidence DWP would have had for me.  When I claimed PIP I didn't ask for any medical evidence.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.