Consultation with gp, written list — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Consultation with gp, written list

charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
many times when I have a dr's appointment, I am so upset , I break down in tears.  The only way I find is to write down the reasons for attending surgery,  and hand the list over to my dr. Does anyone else do this?
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I do this too Charlene, it’s easier for me, talking if very difficult, and quicker for the doctor as we only have 10 minutes.

I write a note for the local shop, chemist etc, saves people staring at me and me getting more anxious if a q develops
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    How often do you visit your gp? I try to avoid going and I even thought of writing a letter instead. 
    I get on well with mine and still try and duck it. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • susan48
    I don’t go as much as I really should.
    Have had to go monthly as she up’d my antidepressants and changed my nighttime meds.
    Iv started to note things down, got an appointment next week, med review and vitamin b12 injection.
    just have to remember to take it with me though
  • charlene
    Hmm, that depends. When my daughter was really ill, and I was visiting her in a closed door mental ward, I became very ill myself.  Couldn't sleep, internal conversation, talking to myself out loud when shopping etc.  I was visiting my doctor weekly, after I had a complete melt down in his surgery.

at present I suppose once a month but more if I need them. My dr/dr's are brilliant.
  • susan48
    Sorry Charlene, 
    i thought it was you that asked me about doctors 
    dont mean to butt in x
  • charlene
    No problems, butt away:
  • charlene
    A good tip I had from a Treatment nurse from my doctor's  surgery, was just to wear  a hearing piece.  That way, when I started talking out load to myself, people watching me would think I was on a mobile phone!!
  • susan48
    That’s a great tip,
    iv noticed recently Iv started talking out loud, to myself. I also say things I’m thinking out loud!!
    can be embarrassing but that’s a great idea 
  • whistles
    Talking to yourself is normal though surely. It's when you get into an disagreement with yourself that makes it harder to disguise. 

Get a cat, you can be talking to them, or a plant. You probably can't take a plant shopping in fairness- but, I don't think people notice these days. 
  • charlene
    I thought that to Susan 48.  Knowing I was doing it, embarrassed me, and more so if people looked at me.  A hearing piece is a few pounds in Asda,  actually a young friend of mine loves to listen to music and I admired her shocking pink  hearing aids.  She turned up a week later with a pair for me, she said they had cost her a pound in Asda.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    If I've been in alot of pain I cry , I just feel so helpless. Especially if I haven't been able to sleep with it. I was crying about pain in my hip when my doctor started asking me if I'd been thinking of harming myself and how was my depression. I told her of course I'm depressed and so would she be if she was in pain constantly. I find it really hard to talk to doctors, don't know why I get so anxious going to appointments
  • charlene
    Hello Janejr, I cry to, also feel helpless especially when I fall.  Because of osteo arthritis I have development an analyptic gait. I hate it, it makes me so embarrassed. I fel I have entered a different chapter in my life  and it is not going to get the better of me.  

Do as I do, write a list of whatever is hurting you and give the list to your doctor. It works for me, I hope it works for you. There is nothing to lose.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    i always write things down and take the list to the drs as i often forget things.
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Hurts today. From my left hip down to the back of my left knee including left ankle. Not sure where the left hip pain finishes and the left knee starts , it's just all pain. It's one of them days where my do a bit sit a bit ain't going to happen. Can't see the point going the doctors as what can he do ?! Nothing just advise take meds. Anyone with OA got any advice 
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    edited March 2018
    I'm going to bullet point what's going on currently.
    Post it to my gp- because although we do have a good patient doctor relationship, I am not good with the making and going to appointments.
    Then if they need to talk to me/ see me I can do that. If not all well and good but they know what's going on. 

Ps I scored zero for communication because I have no issues with it. I have no issues getting there, remembering the day, date and time and what I'm going for.  :)
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    The dentist fines you. I no longer have a dentist.
  • susan48
    My dentist txt me the day before to remind me, can manage to stay still long enfor him to check but can’t for treatment.

Brightness