How many of us have memory problems - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many of us have memory problems

Comments

• charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
     One day I was out and a friend came dashing over to me, saying Carole, Carole you car is rolling down the road!!  Thank goodness the piece of road I was parked on was relatively flat. My car had rolled backwardds about 20 odd  feet and came to a stand still. Thankfully, no cars were around so no damage  was done except  to my confidence!!! I had got out the car, and not applied the brake.  
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't be safe driving on the roads.
    I'm guessing with your memory being this bad @charlene you have given up driving.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Wonderful to hear that Vicoriaid, so many poor souls, wouldn't  survive all that. My daughter was sectioned twice and spent 7 months in a closed door mental hospital.  I love her dearly, but often weep for what life has dished up for her. She to is very brave like you.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    Because I have only just got my award, I have unwanted debris in my head that focused on the can't do. 
    You do feel as if you shouldn't have any sort of life beyond the garden gate. 

I can't remember when I last went on the train. That sounds fun. Do they still have people you can buy the ticket from or is all modern and you just get on the train? 

• [Deleted User]
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @I do and I failed the tests but my assessor solved that quite easily by lying about the results. MOH has to remind me about everything unless I write it down. It happens as soon as I leave a room and start doing something else I completely forget what I was doing before. Last week I put my electric blanket on in the afternoon intending to have a lie down. Then got distracted. When I got into bed it was red hot so I accused MOH of trying to burn me. When he said he didn't put it on I said well I didn't meaning in the last half hour. Then as the discussion went on realization dawned. It had been on full for 6 hours. Now my assessor remarked I had no medical evidence for this but having asked my GP to send me for tests she said the distress it would cause me to know I had a problem and that currently there is no cure would out way any good in having tests. I can understand that but it doesn't fit with the PIP process. I even have a good reason for this in the before and after a head injury in a bad car crash I had. So I have no cognitive impairment according to my assessor.     
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    This is partially my issue. Did my gp feel I would improve or not.
    Now if not I have a nice bucket list I have already made start on. I'm doing it anyway. 

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello good evening every body.  I had a well documented addiction history which as effected my memory.

I have to recognise the best solution for me is to write anything I wish to do in my diary.

I have lost the amount of things I have lost or done.  Senior moments most weeks.

Have reminders all the time.  Make a plan for shopping stock list.  As the supermarkets do.

Plan each time have a pen with you to use to tick off items.

There are things you can do, have a good well balanced diet.

There are foods that may boost memory function.  These are only suggestions.

Olive oil, oily fish ,walnuts  avocados.  There are lots of theories and research needs to be carried out.  Super foods that can be claimed or may boost memory problems.

These include spinach, strawberries and blueberries.

Look at things that stimulate you like puzzles, crosswords.

Music is one and moving a round keeping active.

Hope any of this helps
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Some very funny stories which has give me a good laugh so many thanks.  

I have many of my own but will tell you one that happened to my son instead. 
    He had not long moved to a new flat and late one night he was woken by a woman knocking on his door asking to speak to someone he had never heard of, she said oh I must have the wrong flat but do you mind if I use your bathroom as I am desperate, he let her in to use the bathroom and after a long time she came out holding a bottle of shower gel saying this doesn't taste very nice I'm not impressed.

As he tried to usher her towards his front door she told him I am very tired now your going to have to go and shoved him outside.  Thankfully I had a spare key!

• [Deleted User]
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    @Victoriad, yes I think he has learnt a few things from that experience!........Buy some better shower gel I said just in case another random connoisseur pops around in the middle of the night to test it ; ))

• whistles
    I can make my friend a cup of tea. We're you not having one. Don't know i can't remember now. 
    That's common. But again not important, just lifes little pot holes.
  • whistles
    Victoriad said:
    Good evening @thespiceman
    Welcome to our evening chat.

Hello @whistles
    Got a brainwave perhaps we could ALL chip in and purchase our respective GPs a crystal ball?..........
    Have you seen the price of them.  :)
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I used to make shopping lists when I went shopping and forget said list! I no longer make them. But I have a habit of either forgetting to buy milk and bread or buying too much...
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness