21 year old son needs a chance to work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

21 year old son needs a chance to work

Options
FrustratedMother
FrustratedMother Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2018 in Work and employment
Hello All, i am new to this forum so please bear with me....
My son is 21 and has autism, he has always attended main stream school and had managed well with a statement and 1:1 teaching assistants.

He left school and attended college for 2 years and then managed to gain employment working with his step-father.  The company was taken over and my son was made redundant back in September 2017, my son managed to do some seasonal work over Christmas doing some picking and packing, however since being made redundant he has really taken some steps back, he has never been confident and takes a lot of encouragement that he is 'worthy' of something.

My son is now moving back home so that I can support him once again in his search for suitable employment (he has been living with his brother in their own flat), the Job Center do not really seem to be very helpful and he is desperate to become employed again, but his mental health has really taken a battering over the past few months and im worrying he is spiraling further and further down a deep hole, so my question really is, what help is out there for him? How can i help him again to feel like a 'normal' 21 year old, working and being a part of society?

Comments

• Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @FrustratedMother
    Many thanks for your question and sorry to hear about your son's situation. it sounds like the loss has had adverse effects on his confidence and mental health and hopefully finding another job that he will enjoy will help reverse this and give him that sense of self worth again.

Scope provide a digital employment service called Support to Work, the service provides tairlored support and advice to disabled people who are looking for work. you can find out more about the service HERE 
    If your son is interested in the service, you should get him to register by filling in the following online application form , alternatively he can call the service on 0300 222 5742 or email supporttowork@scope.org.uk.

If eligible for the service he will be assigned to an employment advisor, who will work with him to explore his employability and transferable skills, help him improve his CV as well as prepare for interviews and well as any other employment related issues he might have.
    hope that helps and we look froward to hearing from you & your son
    Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness