PIP appeal turned down — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeal turned down

Options
mosy
mosy Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
After a 2 and a half hour appeal appointment my husband was turned down only 7 points. 2 years ago he was given it for life now none .He has had 3 strokes in which he is blind in one eye and problems with the other one .And has mental illness  in many ways .2 weeks before Christmas he was diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease now receiving meds .We have been told to make a new claim . My point is that yesterday we were treated very bad by the appeal people not only did my husband had to stop half way through as his hearts a few problems as he has a reaveal device in his chest which went off . They took no consideration for him 5 minutes break only which bye then he was not looking to good . He was shaking so bad they still fired on with the questions .I was in the room all the time feeling very upset and confused with all of it .I also have vascular dementia disease they asked me questions which I could not answer as I was crying so much .I feel that the way pip treat you is a disgrace and could not go through it all happening again .I feel so letdown with the support .

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh @mosy, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine how difficult this process has been for you and your husband and I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with the appeals process on top of everything else. 

Hopefully our community members will be able to offer some guidance on the best possible next steps: it may be that you want to pursue making a complaint about your experience. If so, this page on the DWP complaints procedure may be a good place to start. Please do keep us updated and if there's anything we can advise you on, do let us know and we'll do our best to help. 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is disgraceful that you had to even get to the appeal stage.
    I hope other members can offer you advice. 
    I almost feel we should video record these assessments and go public with the results of how we get treated.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi mosy

Was this a change from DLA to PIP ?

It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and criteria for an award
    Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

You shuold also consider getting f2f advice from CAB or similar

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.