Is my daughter experiencing disability discrimination at university? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is my daughter experiencing disability discrimination at university?

hholmes
hholmes Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited March 2018 in Education
My daughter was is in 3rd year of nursing at university and failed her drug calculations exam 3 times due to black print on white paper. She's been asked to leave the course. She's appealing against this decision as previously all her work has been provided on yellow paper and she was supplied with a laptop with yellow coloured overlay. Is this now discrimination by the university 

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    It sounds like they've totally screwed it up!

Did you have an official arrangement with the University student support to have yellow paper or was that coincidence? 

Either way, get in touch with student suport as soon as you and your daughter can (Google the uni she is in and 'student support')

If you haven't already got arrangements with them  collect evidence of your daughter's needs and any diagnostic proof etc while you wait to see them.

It might be tricky to do it after the fact but it may be possible to resit with the conditions ypur daughter needs to make it fair for her. 

If you already had these arrangements put in place then unfortunately they have made a mistake. 

Do get support from:

Your daughter's student union
    The university Disabled student support etc
    Google 'disabled student support' and several sources of support will come up. 

Has she applied for Disabled Student Allowance? It's been a while since I've been in this field... But have a look into that. 

I found this while go ogling :

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

All is not lost. 

It is not in the university's interest to let your daughter fail and certainly heads will roll if she failed because of arrangements not being put in place by uni. 

Hope even a tiny bit of that helps, might be worth calling the Scope helpline too even if just to signpost you. 

I was a disabled student and found a lady in disabled student support and she became my advocate. She helped me get funding for a laptop and stuff to help but also arrangements for exams. I had one where it was tricky . . And she fought my case. So get some help

So worrying for you both  sorry it's been like that after such a lot of success in that course. . But I do think there is lots of hope. 

• hholmes
    edited March 2018
    She was given the laptop and overlay by disability same as you and had an agreement with the uni about her work being on yellow paper..in hindsight she regrets not mentioning the yellow paper at the exam so the student union rep is saying there is a procedural error and the uni got her to sign a form to discontinue her nursing course. She has a meeting next week with the head of nursing because she has started the appeal process
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hholmes
    edited March 2018
    Special glasses with tints I work in health care and there is no discrimination ....that is illegal..the university knew all about her irlen syndrome when she was accepted 
  • [Deleted User]
  • hholmes
    She's got a meeting with head of nursing and is being represented by the student union. I am absolutely frustrated at not being able to go with her...She is a caring nurse and has passed all her competencies and has excellent mentor feedback..
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2018
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2018
  • hholmes
    I will ask her to find out thanks 

Brightness