£3 yes Really £3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

£3 yes Really £3

Markinsutton
Markinsutton Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
Received a letter this week to say that my ESA has stopped because I have earned £3 a week over my permitted £120 a week allowed on ESA. I don't always work the same hours and many of my hours at work is as volunteer the DWP have stopped my ESA because I have gone over by £3, well £3.28 really

What is so frustrating about the whole situation is my claim is now stopped and I have to go through the whole process of applying again. The government talk about saving money but how much will this now cost for me to have to fill out a new claim and get all the supporting documentation from my GP and medical professionals, plus I may have to go for another work capability assessment.  

I spent an hour on the phone on Thursday, as a hard of hearing person is really difficult, applying for a new claim all the sake of trying to earn a little extra money. not only that working does me the world of good as I am getting out the house and doing something I enjoy hence the reason for me started as a volunteer. I have looked into other benefits but due to the limited hours I can work I just can't 

I wanted to give anyone a warning if you go over even by £3 you don't get any warning letter from the DWP they just close your benefit. I have asked if any of the information I had provided when I started can be used they said no the claim is now closed. I was currently in the income related support group not sure if this makes any difference. but wanted to let you all know what happen just in case it happens to anyone else. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this information I am sure many fill find your exspearances helpful. Many would love to,voulenter or work,the permitted hours but can't stand or sit long enough to do any work safely. It must be computer monitored so if any body goes over the limit of earnings a letter is sent and benefits stopped automatically. Needs to be amended with an Appel system or a warning letter if this continues.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    hi markinsutton. that is one of the most stupid things i have ever heard that is worse then them stopping mine. i had an operation on my right shoulder in april last year and was on esa. i had an assessment in november and was told that because i could lift my left arm above my head i was well enough to go back to work. so they stopped my esa just before christmas and i had to go on job seekers.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    It just puts people off doing anything to try and get back to work doesn't it. 
    What's wrong with you went over by xx we've amended your ESA by that amount. 

Eta just looked on the turn to us website and it says. 
    "If you were to exceed the restrictions in any week, you would not be entitled to ESA for that week" 
    It doesn't say they will simply stop your money, but for the week you went over. 
    I would be going to CAB or maybe an advisor here can help. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Markinsutton
    Markinsutton Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    I am really lucky I work for a charity that supports disabled people to become more independent and make adjustments for me. I have tried to work or volunteer in the pass without much luck with health and safety always being quoted for the reason for me stop working. Even now they are going to help me by seeing what can be done I only work 14 hours a week over 3 days but since I started as a volunteer I am getting stronger and having to take less medication. even this week after getting the news from DWP, I mistakenly took my night time medication in the morning and after a hour or so at work they noticed something was wrong and offered to give me a lift home, at that point I hadn't realised that I took the wrong tablets out of my blister pack. sadly it's rare to have an understanding employer and even when I do the system lets me down. I will hopefully end back on the same ESA Group and things can carry on as they where just £3 less ;-) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.