Struggling to keep on top of things — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to keep on top of things

Damion4me
Damion4me Community member Posts: 6 Listener
My name is Jacqui not damion

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Jacqui @Damion4me and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad you have found us.

It is important for you to know that this is a safe place and that you are among friends here. Whatever experiences you have had or are going through, whatever your troubles are or have been, you will almost certainly find people here who have experienced something similar, who care and can empathise with you. Don't hesitate to talk to us, to ask us questions or to tell us anything about yourself. The better we get to know you and how you feel, the more easily we may find ways to help you.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

• Damion4me
    Thank you so much jennysdad well I had to stop work last December because of back n joints pains I have just now getting Jsa but only contribution only when I went for my first interview they made me wait outside for half hour when I tried to tell them of my illness  they sent me to a homeless place where they free coffee n soup I was so ashamed I just bust out crying as I was a Carer and  nurse for over 20 years I have always worked n not on the stats benefit my husband left me that why I went to sign on  they keep telling to fill in form for housing benefit but when I tell them that I can’t type and some time can’t hold a pen to write it like go to the computer n do it your self it’s just beyond
    me when I ask for help they just showed me and left  I got up and left
  • Damion4me
    I am not computer savvy Iam doing with a pencil with the eraser end
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Damion4me

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation.

Please please let me know if I can help you in anyway???

Yes things become very very hard when you don’t have much control on one side of your body!!!!!!

My Stroke took out my left side, unfortunately that is my dominant side.

So writing,eating,walking,
    movement all cause me “sever pain”

Sorry for going on & on!!!!!!

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with?????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @damion4me, and welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear that things are difficult at the moment, it sounds like you've had some really frustrating experiences. I wonder if you've considered contacting Citizens Advice for help with your benefits and forms? You can find your local CAB by searching on their website, and they're a really valuable support service that may be able to help you. 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Jacqui, and thank you for getting back to me - especially when it clearly takes such an effort. Don't feel under any pressure to reply - as a volunteer I come back to the site many times during the day and night and will always catch up with any messages you've posted, so take it as easy as you can :smile: I'm not here to make life harder.
    Do you have a diagnosis for the cause of your pain? It might help me put you in touch with others with similar conditions.
    I am so very sorry - and yes, angry too - to read of the way you have been treated. I only wish I was more surprised. However, it sounds as if you could use some practical, hands-on help where completing these forms are concerned and I wonder if you've contacted your local Citizens Advice Bureau? You can find details of the one nearest to you here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/  There is an orange coloured rectangle on the right of the page and all you should need to do is to type your postcode into the box there. I think there is a better chance of them either providing the 'hands on' help or of pointing you in the direction of someone who can.
    Is this any help? Don't hesitate to get back to me but, again, don't rush or stress yourself in the process.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Hi Jacqui I'm sorry to read your in pain and struggling to get help. You have come to the write place for help as there are lots of knowledgable people on here who can point you in the write direction. Have you thought of getting an advocate as they are very good at sorting out problems. I have a friend who contacted them for help and it's taken alot of stress away as he is savvy on all the help and benefits my friend is entitled to, plus he needed help with doctors who after 3years hadn't done a thing for my friend. My friend is now in touch with other agencies who can help him and is having his benefits sorted for him. I think the benefits system is very demeaning I remember having to use the food bank until my benifits were sorted out. It was a very low point in my life , having to give up a job I loved , being in pain and depressed with it all. Any time you feel up for a chat we are all here for you
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Jacqui

Have you applied for PIP ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Damion4me
    no thats why iam asking for help i need some to help me fill in forms as i cannot write or fill  in because of pain i need advocate to help me
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Jaqui,
    have you spoken to CAB about the forms?
    maybe your GP can also help
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi jacqui
    I have sent some links to your board

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Damion4me
    thank you so much you are a great help

regards jacqui
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Hi Jaqui, hope you get the help you need and deserve especially as you have spent so long caring for others.  Struggling with writing/typing is a big deal and one that I think many benefit workers do not fully understand, yet it is so essential to get the support you need.

Hopefully you will find an advocate that can help you, other people have mentioned CAB but in my experience they are so over stretched dealing with a back log of work it can take a good while to even get an initial appointment.  Have a look at the link below to see if they can guide you to some local help.

Love and best wishes X Rosie

https://www.qni.org.uk/help-for-nurses/other-sources-of-help/ 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.