Should we reapply after these new changes? Mobility and care component — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should we reapply after these new changes? Mobility and care component

harley
harley Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
When my daughter who is visuially impared lived at home we were able to claim low rate mobility component and middle rate care allowance
when she left home they stopped the care component as they said she was independant because she had moved out and was living with her husband 
Her disability has not changed but they did re register her from severley sight impared to partial sight impaired after the RNIB wonthe rights for people with visual impairments to be legible for the higher rate component of the mobility allowance.
Do you think she should reapply or would she be wasting her time

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harley and welcome to the community. We're very glad to have you.
    I'm not a benefits expert but we do have them at Scope and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
    Bear with us, if you can, and don't hesitate to be in touch if there is any other way in which we might be able to help.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • harley
    Do you think that she would be entitled to anything if she applied for pip ?
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    It depends how her condition affects her.

Moving out shouldn't have stopped her award though. It just has to be that her needs have to be reasonable. It doesn't matter whether she's getting the care she needs or not. 

I live alone and my DLA didn't change after moving out.
  • Nystagmite
    Some visual impairments can get better with treatments. I have a friend who did have an operation which meant he went from seeing fingers / shadows to being partially sighted.
  • harley
    Her registration changed as I said before when the RNIB campaigned to change the fact that people with visual imparementsvshoukd be legible for the higher rate mobility component 
    People who were registered on what was then a DB8 form needed to be seen by an ophthalmic department and the CVI forms were looked at and changed.
    Before the implementation of this the visual acuity was
    6/36 only seeing eye now it is 3/36 only seeing eye dependent on what eye complications you have.
    So as my daughter is 6/36 only seeing eye and she also has nystagmus with no peripheral vision 
    The rules of registration restricted the consultant to having to change her registration
  • harley
    Unfortunatley law did not do anything they are only interested in guidelines and as I am an ophthalmic nurse it is very frustrating that this is how they roll.
    My daughter has bilateral hypodysplasia with nystagmus not something that can get better but as she has been like ths from birth I have made her as independant as possible and am very proud as I am sure each and every parent are of their siblings
    It is frustrating as everything us a fight 
  • Nystagmite
    You should really have appealed. To get DLA, (or PIP) it just has to be reasonable. 

I, for example, have moved. But still require help from my parents to do many things. But as I've got older, my vision has become worse (I've Nystagmus and we're not sure what the other diagnosis is yet) and so has my depth perception and I couldn't live at home because of the steps.
  • harley
    I did appeal and was told due to her registration status and that she was no longer at home she couldn't have the care component it angers me that they see a piece of paper not a person asking mg daughter how she manages on a daily basis because she has too its the little things like you say depth perception is a problem and at the minute due to working full time and having a young child having to use public transport to get to and from work which can put hours on your day as she is unable to drive her nystagmus is unstable 

• Nystagmite
    edited March 2018
    What you've been told is wrong. 

They do use everything against you though if you do try to be as independent as you can.

If this was me, I'd apply for PIP. Just a warning, they, as seems to have what happened here, will use absolutely everything against your daughter,
  • harley
    I would like to thank you all for your various help I have decided to help her reapply for her benefits see where we get 
  • Nystagmite
    Hope it all goes well.

Anything you put on the form just has to be reasonable. She doesn't need to be getting the help, which makes this case very strange.
  • harley
    No it's been 4 years since she left home my daughter only has the lower rate mobility component to help with getting around equates to 20 a week and she also has a free bus pass for use in greater Manchester area 

• harley
    Astley near Leigh 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.