PIP decision on "Preparing Food" - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision on "Preparing Food"

2»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    People should not be grateful to have got at least some PIP and then be quiet.  That's what the DWP want!  We know that many assessment reports are factually inaccurate.  Therefore people who think their awards are unfair are entitled to ask for MRs and then appeal if necessary.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    In regards to the cognitive side, you will have to prove that this is the case if you are arguing that.

If you can tell someone what you want them to cook for you that's assistance in their eyes. 
    It doesn't seem to matter what help you  have in place, it's whether you can prove that the help you currently get is even necessary. I live in warden supported, didn't get standard care. I am probably living somewhere to enable me, not disable.

I'm not concerned springtime18, because the pip is about what you can do. It's about being honest about your ability not disability. I don't fit the criteria, that's the whole point in the sick change, to dump a load of us. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Everyone Nowhere throughout this discussion has the OP said she wasn't grateful for the award she was given. She even says she will probably stick with what she has and not even do an MR which everyone has a right to do. Every claim and every person is different so to start "having a go" instead of offering kind, thoughtful advice is not what should be happening on this forum. @summerx is feeling a sense of injustice caused by her assessor's twisting of the criteria to suit the points she/he wants to give. It looks like one point below has been given  intentionally to keep the award in the standard range. This feeling is justified as it is caused by lack of fairness in a system which is not working how it should. You do not know this lady and the harm which may be caused by the written word. If it was me you were writing about (which it may well be after this post) I would be extremely upset and have to leave the forum to protect myself. I agree with @Matilda, reducing points at MR is possible but not what normally happens. 80% is high for claims kept the same at MR so, providing the OP has strong evidence to show she is unable to prepare food herself then an MR will be the way to go. The care system is stretched to the limit and Social services would not be going in to prepare food if the claimant could in any way do it herself. 
          If everyone who has an award below what they're entitled to decided they should be grateful and said nothing or didn't question an incorrect decision nothing would ever change and the assessment companies and DWP could be as corrupt as they wished and there would be a lot of very sick people not getting the help they need.. 
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    edited March 2018
    The DWP do not force you into making a PIP claim it's your choice , yes people need an income when they carnt work , now with those scores it shows she got a truthful assessor , it could of easily been the zero points with dishonest assessor ..her post clearly had some dissapointment there , and yes her decision. If it had been me I would truly be happy with those scores and I would not even think about challenging.
  • wildlife
    edited March 2018
    Have just checked the preparing food descriptors and the last one just says cannot prepare and cook food. It doesn't say "Cannot prepare and cook food due to a cognitive impairment". There are many physical reasons why a claimant cannot prepare a meal. So are we saying that someone who is paralyzed from the neck downwards but has no cognitive awareness can prepare and cook a meal? I hope this has given you "food" for thought as it's an example of an illogical decision made in order to reduce the amount of points awarded. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I think if anyone feels there award is incorrect it’s there choice to take the matter further, regardless if they got some award.
    not making do with the decision of someone who asks some questions and depending how you answer depends your points.
    the system does not work.
    its hard enough going through this process without people making you feel even worse 
    i thought this site was for help, information and SUPPORT 

• wildlife
    @susan48 The problems occur when what you answer is changed to suit the points the assessor wants to recommend to DWP. @Summerx have you supplied a copy of your care plan to DWP to support your PIP award? If so the assessor has clearly ignored the evidence that you require all your meals to be prepared for you and I'm sure it will say why. If you decide to do an MR have a think about what other evidence you could get or have already sent to refer to as to why preparing food yourself is not an option. Good luck and please ignore the comments on here. All you are doing is asking for clarification on one of the PIP descriptors. You didn't ask if you should settle for what you've got and be grateful. By the way any post can be reported to the moderators by clicking the flag below if it is not within the rules of the forum. The Scope team will then delete and contact the poster. I'm not saying any of these is that bad but the option is there. 
  • susan48
    Very true wildlife, shocking but true  :(
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    None of us know summerx's situation so judgement is not appropriate.
    We are here to help and support each other.
    I hope that summerx has not been put of by some of the comments

Some of the descriptors can have consequences on others, especially when the reliability factors, that are often overlooked, are applied.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • susan48
    Well said CockneyRebel, as I also said, we should be helping and supporting not judging each other. We all get enough of that outside of here
    Susa

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.