ESA and employment concerns — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and employment concerns

Options
gjb2018
gjb2018 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2018 in Work and employment
I am new to Scope but would like information on what I can do about my ESA payments. I have been in the support group since the beginning and actually I have been on full incapacity and DLA since 1999. Last year I was moved from the support group into a contribution ESA which they said could only be paid for 365 days. I was given an appointment at the jobcentre where I was quite positive about helping myself to change my direction. I was only seen once. I had an appointment with Lancashire wellbeing and I found the help they gave me encouraging, I believed that what was happening would make my life more bearable. But now I have reached my 365 days limit, I thought I would be reassessed but I am not due another one until September. So they are just stopping my money??

Through LW I have as of this week, been taken on as a volunteer at the Library and my intention is to try and do some permitted casual work, this is my goal but I am now faced with the possibility that I might have to find some full time work. This has all become a bit worrying and I am afraid of what will now happen. I am 45 I suffer from agonising seizures during sleep and due to my illness I have become, over the years, a virtual recluse and have extreme social anxiety. Moving out into the world I have lost 4 stone, got a bus pass so I can move about the county and use different libraries, bought a dog so I walk and meet people also have someone with me after my wife went back to work and have been really positive about trying to do something to make my life worthwhile but I feel that I have had the rug pulled from beneath my feet and feel like I am falling back into a state I am trying to escape from. My wife works full time but on minimum wage. We have been told she can claim tax credits once my money ends on the 4th April but not until then so we will be without money while that is sorted out. We are not sure what we are going to get. Is there anything else I could do?

Please if anyone could help clarify what is happening and give any guidance at all I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gjb, and welcome to the community!

Thank you for sharing this with us. I've moved your post into our employment category where more of our members will see it and hopefully be able to help. In the meantime, have you tried the online benefits calculator to see if there's anything else you may be entitled to?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi gjb and welcome

When you went for your assessment, did you ask for MR and appeal ?

You can do so upto thirteen months

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • gjb2018
    gjb2018 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi gjb and welcome

When you went for your assessment, did you ask for MR and appeal ?

You can do so upto thirteen months

CR
    Hi Cockney rebel According to them I am still on ESA  with my contributions being paid but I am on zero payment. It is not something I have heard of before. I am still classed as on sick but can't have another assessment until September when things might change. They said my wife working meant I now had to claim tax credits. Is this just a crafty way of getting people of the sick? 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So what has happen is that you had an assessment and were moved out of the support group, which is paid until you have an assessment that finds your no longer meet the SG criteria. Work related activity group has a limiit of 365 days and this is what is ending

If you didn't appeal the last decision which took you out of SG and into WRAG you may just be able to still do so but it will be hard

You should get urgent f2f advice from CAB , welfare rights or similar

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness