INTRODUCTION TO SPICES PART4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

INTRODUCTION TO SPICES PART4

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every body thought I would talk about Spices .  The culinary uses.

There medicine uses but I do not want to talk about them.  Because I do not think under SCOPE rules I am allowed to.

I get questions all the time so just a idea what and how to use them.

All spices are from flowers or buds or bark of trees and shrubs.

They come into two forms whole and ground

Some can be shredded.

To put them into a recipe first you can do that.  Also if using more than one especially whole spices dry pan toast few seconds .  Then blitz up Spice mill.     If I wish to add a Spice mixture will measure out and blitz dry.  Then to a bowl touch of water. Boiling kettle.  Make a paste.

CHILLI
Chilli's they are many different types so I will list what I use to be helpful.

Many come prepared in vinegar.

In jars or pastes and give the strength on the side.  You have Chilli Powder which is ground up Chilli's these have mild or hot.  You get smoked or Cayenne which is a hot chilli ground.

Used to provide flavour to food and a little heat.  Depending on the chilli.  Fresh chill's vary from packet to packet.  Not are all hot. by the way.  Always measure out and taste first if adding to a sauce.  Too hot add lemon juice or lime juice.

Wash hands and keep fingers away from eyes and skin.  Use olive oil to prevent skin irritation

CINNAMON

From a bark of a tree.  Whole or ground.  Cinnamon good with Chicken, Pork and sweet dishes Chocolate.  Great sprinkled on fruit and yoghurt.
Good with bean and pulse dishes.

CORIANDER

Comes whole into seeds or ground.  Has a lemon scent.  Good with all meat and pulse bean dishes.  Curries

CUMIN

Seed or ground.  Ideal with bean and pulse dishes.  Partner with the two above spices Coriander, Cinnamon.  Curries

FENNEL SEED

Uses from a plant or bulb from the plant Fennel.  Good with all Pork and Sausages.  Great in puds like chocolate and with fruits and yoghurt.  Bean and pulses good with.  Fish recipes

GINGER

From a rhizome .  Can be ground, shredded in vinegar, can be into other forms stem ginger.

Use with North African Recipes or add a little heat to bean and pulses recipes.  Curries.

PAPRIKA

Variation of chilli not hot.  Comes in various types.  Sweet, smoked.  Use with any dish to bring colour.  Rice and Pasta.  

TUMERIC

A root like ginger comes pre ground.  Colour to curries and rice.  Great in a soup or beans or pulses.  Curries and Tagines.

I hope this is useful.

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks spiceman 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Thank you just a small little post, some ideas.

Gladly answer any other food related questions or queries.  I know there are a few of us on the forum.  Need help just ask.  My friend @Victoriad has a excellent knowledge of food and recipes.

The medicine use I would like to say but I do not know if I would be allowed to.

The guidelines.

Anyway loads on the web to look up if you wish to find out.

Always be cautious though.  I use them my own personal use and I have been doing this a long time.

Take care

The one and only Spiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • susan48
    Stupid question but want is rich in vitamin b12?

• susan48
    Sorry what is rich in vit b12
  • thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Thank you no it is not a stupid question. 

It is important have a good diet and make sure you are getting all the correct vitamins from your diet.  Always consult a nutritionist or dietican if you have worries.  Also speak to GP about the well being service.  They often run courses on how to keep yourself fit and well.  Helps you to maintain your condition what ever it is.

I am only suggestions here but this is what I had to do.  Because of my addiction had to look at diet and went on several courses.  

Learn from these courses.  Some are advertised in Community centres.  I was nervous and had to do this.  Often the only gentleman.  So I hope you have a look.  Anytime.

The doctor always is there may I add but sometimes if you can help yourself.  Understand what works for you regarding your diet and level of health.

Doing a food diary to keep a list of foods that you know will benefit your well being and health.

Just suggestions.

I have a stocklist when shopping must have these in stores at all times.

I gained many food qualifications.  Understand health level 2.  Still learning and acquiring knowledge to benefit my mental state and disability.

The vitamin B is essential in health to maintain body functions.  Releasing energy from food except the B vitamin 12.

Vitamin B12 is found all animal and fortified products and supplements.

Usually needed for red blood cell growth.

Found in cereals, milk, white fish ,eggs.  Also dairy produce.

Lack of this Vitamin may cause anaemia and fatigue.

Hope this helps you.

Ask me anything if you not sure.  If I can help.  Please just keep in touch.

Take care

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness