Ivesigation into errors in ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ivesigation into errors in ESA

wilko
wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
This investigation covers a single, major cause of underpayment error in ESA. This error relates to people whose existing benefit claim was converted to ESA and who where entitled to income related ESA but we're only awarded contribution-based ESA.

Comments

• wilko
    Received this information yesterday, I wonder how many will be notified of an underpayment. And will we they be able to reclaim the cost of NHS dental treatment if they we have prove of payment?
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    They contacted me about an under payment in 2016, only back paid seven weeks to their visit that they had under paid.
    I am now thinking they should have gone back to 2014 when I was first moved to ESA.

Contribution based means you need to have paid enough NI contributions, so I thought that this paid more than IR in the first place? 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi whistles, 

The maximum amount of contribution based ESA (at the moment) is £109.65 which is made up of a personal allowance of £73.10 and a support group component of £36.55. If you are entitled to any of the income-related premiums you are then entitled to the income-related top up as well as the £109.65. For example, if you have no partner or a partner without income you can be entitled to an enhanced disability premium of £15.90 if single or £22.85 as part of a couple, or if you get PiP and live alone and don't anyone claiming CA for you, you will be entitled to the Severe Disability Premium.
    It is these income-related assessments that the DWP did not do for people when they moved people over from IB to ESA C.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• wilko
    @lee, thanks for explaining the enquiry about DWP of ESA.  Time consuming on your part but out in the he open now for all to read. 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have been getting the edp from the start in 2014, suggesting that I am IR. It says income related amount just before it's added up. 

But the sdp wasnt added until 2016 despite already getting middle rate care DLA. So I think I need to make a phone call and find out why?

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.