Had PIP Home Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had PIP Home Assessment

butterflies
butterflies Community member Posts: 29 Courageous
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to update you on my PIP Home Assessment this week!

Had to remain in bed for Assessment mainly due to ongoing problems over past couple of years and also being awake all night. Friend who has key was there to open door.

Assessment lasted 35mins from coming in the door to leaving.  That may have been because I had provided a lot of evidence and the Assessor said they had read it.

Told me it was a Functional Assessment.  Asked to touch thumb and forefinger together.
Could not  complete other 2 arm exercises but I did try.
Didn't want to see new Care Plan(which has been put in place since PIP application went in to DWP) or take copy of updated info about Care Plan printed off for her.
Just very puzzled as to why this extra info was not taken after I was told to give it to Assessor.

The person was pleasant enough and professional. 

We shall see but I am preparing for the worst possible outcome.

When Life Gives You Lemons Make Lemonade

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi butterflies.
    The new care plan was probably not looked at because it was put in place after your claim date.However if it was for the conditions already described in your application you can always ask for them to look again at a mandatory reconsideration.
    I would wait and see what your result is first,it may be that the assessor has enough information without it.Good luck Debsidoo.x
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    God luck Debsidoo.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • debsidoo
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Charlene but I already have my award.This post is regarding butterflies concerns.
      Debsidoo.x
  • butterflies
    Hi @debsidoo

Thank you for your advice.
    Yes the Care Plan is for exact same conditions.
    It's only because of the intervention of my Housing Association that these recent changes have happened.
    That's one good thing to have come out of filling out the PIP form because I did not recognise myself as being that bad as I was just trying to get through the days the best I could.

I don't think it's going to be easy as I got the impression they are just looking for ways to remove the points rather than give them.   :/

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    You could post the new care plan as evidence? That way they actually have it.
    I don't see it matters if it's after the application date because it's meant to be if you satisfy the descriptors for three months prior and so many months after. 

Sadly Butterflies the system is designed to shave benefits. 
    Some of us won't fit the boxes and will get less or not satisfy at all.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • butterflies
    Hi @whistles

Thank you for your reply

I absolutely agree it is about shaving benefits

I rang IAS/ATOS about the new information(explaining what it was...she made a note on the computer) asking if they wanted me to post it to them they said no give it to the Assessor but she would not take it. They certainly know how to give people the run around!

So I have put it in envelope to DWP and friend will post it for me this week.
    I used to get fantastic help from friends but they can no longer do it as often for various reasons.

to cut a very long story short... it's basically the same Plan just different people doing it.  :)
  • Chelseagirl
    Chelseagirl Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hi @debsidoo

Thank you for your advice.
    Yes the Care Plan is for exact same conditions.
    It's only because of the intervention of my Housing Association that these recent changes have happened.
    That's one good thing to have come out of filling out the PIP form because I did not recognise myself as being that bad as I was just trying to get through the days the best I could.

I don't think it's going to be easy as I got the impression they are just looking for ways to remove the points rather than give them.   :/

• Chelseagirl
    That I said an understatement! DWP was told years ago to get as many numbers of benefits as possible. I was on ESA years ago + appealed before CAB helping me onto income support and Carers as I'm a carer myself as well then when stopped ESA last Nov + I appealed they said NO we changed rules + if we say no twice in lifetime to a benefit after MR that's it! So have been forced onto JSA while waiting for tribunal
    joke they will not even listen to your GO + NHS consultants that know your physical + mental health!!!!
  • Chelseagirl
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Never heard of the if we say no twice rule.
    Can you back that up with case law? 
    There will be people reading this who have needed to appeal more than once. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • debsidoo
    Hi butterflies
    Remember if you post the letter to them to keep a copy for yourself and to get it signed for.
       Debsidoo.x
  • butterflies
    Hi Everyone
    I just wanted to let you know the outcome of my PIP claim and Assessment.
    I was awarded enhanced PIP for both till 2022.
    I asked for a copy of the Assessors Report and she shaved as many points as she could off what I  had  filled in but I still scored high for both.

I have carers/home help coming in Monday to Friday and that has made a big difference having meals cooked for me and help with everything.
    I'm still bed bound and housebound 95% but now not as isolated and struggling to do the smallest tasks.

• rukhsana
    rukhsana Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi everyone
    I was just wondering if I could get someone else's perspective.
    I recently attended my face to face appointment at a local centre.
    20 minutes into the assessment the assessor stated he was terminating my assessment due to my fatigue. He then went on to say that a home assessment would be more suitable for me.
    Is this a good thing? Does anybody have any experience of home assessments? I'm panicking as this is my first.
    Sorry for the long message 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Not sure why the assessment ended like that as you were already there anyway. Doesn't really seem any point in ending the assessment only to go through the whole thing again for the home assessment. All that needless extra worry. It doesn't mean anything other than you have to go through it all again. I wouldn't have been very happy if it was me.

Home assessments are exactly the same as at assessment centres. Only difference is, it's in your own home where you can be more comfortable.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rukhsana
    Thanks for the prompt reply I suppose I will just have to wait. The stress is playing havoc with my fibromyalgia
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @rukhsana! I really hope your home assessment goes well, please do keep us updated.
  • rukhsana
    Thank you I shall definitely keep you updated.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I wouldn't have been very happy if it was me.

Nor me Poppy. But complaint or not you have two choices - agree to another assessment or refuse. The ball is in their court if you want them to assess you and progress your PIP claim. 
  • Whiterose
    Whiterose Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi all I just wanted to keep you all updated on my home assessment. 
    I recently had my pip home assessment and think it went okay. I was in my pyjamas when the assessor arrived and my husband opened the door. I was somewhat distressed when she arrived and informed my husband I was scared. She spent the next 45 minutes asking about my disability and wether my medication had increased which it had. I was suffering from the onset of a migraine and asked my husband to cover my eyes to which the assessor told my husband he could switch the light off. I never made eye contact with her and at one point told my husband I had an accident to which she replied I won't be too long. She ended the assessment with a physical examination which consisted of me bending my chin towards my chest, lifting my legs and finally standing up on my feet either of which I couldn't manage.
    I am so nervous the waiting is killing me. I have requested a copy of the report so hopefully I will not have to wait too long.
    Hope everyone is doing well 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.