DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA

nikity
nikity Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi am sorry if this is the best place to ask for so information as I am new here  I live in Scotland middle aged have been on DLA for about  7 year's was awarded it for indefinite period when I applied for it I got told within 4 weeks that I was getting  high rate dla and middle rate care I did not have to go in front of anyone I really don't know what my gp put on my form and I now have different gp also I have a lot more different illnesses  from when I first  applyed I don't know if I will still  qualifie this is my illnesses  I have just been told I have heart arthmya ,which makes me very tierd and dizzy  had to give up driving  Chronic Asthma, Chronic back pain ,Depression?,Angina with all i am constantly tiered I need assistance with showering I can't concentrate I keep forgetting thing's I have a carer who helps me a lot showering makes meals sort out  bills this is just to give you an idea of what am like I can ask some one how many sugars in tea by the time I go through to pour tea I have to come back to ask how many sugars again and this can happen about 5/ 6 timesit is so embarrassing I cry most days I also have osteoarthritis in my hands knees  and shoulders I am worried about when it comes to me applying for pips  any tips on what I will need to do on getting assessed thanks in advanced if this is not allowed would some one kindle let me know  

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi nikity and welcome

DLA and PIP use different criteria. PIP is about how your condition affects you and not about your condition. Many people that have been in receipt of DLA are losing out under PIP

It is important to understand the PIP points system, descriptors and criteria for an award. A good starting place is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • nikity
    nikity Community member Posts: 4 Listener
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome. 
    Pip is different in as much as they do ask you to attend an assessment. 
    Have you had the letter yet that asks you to apply? When that arrives you probably only get three weeks to get the forms done as it took ten days for mine to arrive. 

Some people have talked about keeping a diary of your days so you can see how many off days you have and how many good.

It is all daytime descriptors apart from the toliet. The is no help you need during the day and help you need at night. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning and welcome, CR has pointed you in the right direction by taking a self test and being honest with yourself about your capabilities and abilities to do the tasks will give you a good Indecation how your award should be. When you fill your applecation for the answers you give in the form will have to be justified at the face to face accessment. Good luck and keeping a dairy like whistles sujests should held.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.