Warning on the mandatory Universal Credit and how disabled people will be worse off — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Warning on the mandatory Universal Credit and how disabled people will be worse off

despondent
despondent Community member Posts: 88 Connected
edited March 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
The Government says that the PIP caters for the elements of sdp and edp where the DLA didnt. Therefore the sdp and edp are not to be considered in the mandatory universal credit roll out from July 2019.
So at the moment according to the DWP anyone getting the ESA support and PIP are getting paid too much. The government cant legally change this. This is where the mandatory UC comes into play. They are now able to strip the sdp and edp from our benefits legally. They are hushing us by saying they will give us a transitional payment, but that payment is highly flawed and is basically a pay freeze on the most vunerable people in society.
Whatever transitional payment we get, will be offset each year by the UC rise. So for example if you are receiving
Year 1. £1100 UC and £400 transitional payment:-
Year 2 UC rises to £1150 transitional payment lowers to £350
Year 3 UC rises to £1200 transitional payment lower to £300
This will continue until the transitional payment is fully absorbed into UC and is zero.
The governement are using UC to take away our sdp and edp, and because they are offering this transitional payment, people dont understand that in fact we are going to so much worse off. We are losing money.
Each year our rent, council tax, water bills, electricity , gas and food etc is going to go up here is an example.
Rent year 1: £400 UC £1100 transitional payment £400.
Year 2. Rent £430 UC £1150 transitional payment £350 on just the rent £30pm worse off
Year 3. Rent £470 UC £1200 transitional payment £300 now £70 a month worse off than year1
Year 4. Rent £510 UC £1250 transitional payment £250 now £110pm worse off than year1. these are just cautionary figures.
Year 5. Rent £560 UC £1300 transitional payment £200 now £160pm worse off than year 1.
The above figures are monthly estimates.

These figures are just examples of how rent, and all our other bills will wipe into our transitional money and leave us impoverished, as we will have no control over rent rises etc and be living on frozen money, whilst inflation goes up. Obviously your UC will be higher but the rent increase will need to be met by you out of your UC and transitional income without any state help.

I would like to stress that these figures do not include your PIP payment this is separate.

Comments

• Thomaslambe
    Thomaslambe Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    What can we do about it
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    You need just one thread on this subject. You now have three.

Not sure why you have started yet another one.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • despondent
    Well the first one was in the wrong category. The second one was to gather evidence on UC and how it affects disabled people, and for me was a learning curve as I am new to Scope forums. The third is to highlight and make aware in the right category what I have learned about what will happens to us when we are all forced to migrate to UC. This is not the same at all, and needs our diligence. Whistles this is big, it needs as many people as possible to wake up to July 2019. Do you not think this is a worthy cause?
  • despondent
    edited March 2018
    Hi Thomaslambe, we need to alert our local MPs, and get as much support from disabled groups  as possible to protect us. At the moment this is slipping through blindly, and no one has looked past the transitional payment, and the affect the freeze in payments will have on us. It is the ongoing years that we are going to struggle in. If anyone has any ideas about this please let me know, and/or  start a discussion of your own. I am open to ideas and will support legal ways to combat this.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    @despondent good for you trying to challenge this my friend I'm sorry to put a downer on this?

But many have tried to make a change and different things with this Government even me and failed. I don't hold back in what I think and have to say I've had right goes with various Government officials and MP's without a great deal of success and nearly getting arrested, but I still have my say and document everything I have tried and all has been logged for future purposes.

They will do as they wish and we and or anyone will not make a change as they will still do as they please.

I can see what you saying regarding the above and agree it's another ploy to fk the less fortunate in society. 
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• despondent
    There's a saying:
    If you don't think a small thing can make a difference, then spend the night in a room with a mosquito.
    It may take awhile but change does happen.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.