INTRODUCTION TO SPICES PART 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

INTRODUCTION TO SPICES PART 5

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello this the version of Chilli Chicken Curry.  I make I use some added store cupboard ingredients for an alternative take.

Mango Chutney spicy one has sugar in it.  A lot of curries have a little bit of sugar in it.  This is OK just has the spices in it as well.

Also the other one is Worcester Sauce.  I have seen Indian cooks use this.  To season meat, fish and any vegetables.

I use also spice mix Garam Masala .  This is a spice blend of many spices.  Usually Cumin, Fennel Seeds, Coriander, Cloves, few more.  Use it like Black Pepper seasons meat and vegetables.

I use Potatoes with Rice and Kidney Beans.  Plus Spinach.  Potatoes are used to thicken a curry.  Contains Starch so a natural Thickener

CHILLI CHICKEN CURRY

You will need Chicken drumsticks three per person or two thighs per person.
Zip bag
Food Processor with slicer attachment
Blender
Spice Mill for blitz spices
Bowl
Kettle boiling water
Stock pot or Saute pan, saucepan for rice small one.
Knife, Measuring spoons
Wooden spoons, slotted spoons.

Ingredients
Chicken to coat Garam masala ,Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika 1 teaspoon of each.
From a jar ginger and garlic puree 1 teaspoon each
Garam masala, Cumin, Paprika, 1teaspoon each plus Fennel Seeds 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon Tumeric Half teaspoon of each
Cayenne 1 eighth teaspoon or more if you wish
Mango Chutney 1 teaspoon
Worcester A dash
Passata carton
Onions two small or one medium to large.
Potatoes three medium sized diced up or
Tin Potatoes use half.
Rice Basmati Microwave Packet
Tin of Kidney beans.  Drained.
Spinach Frozen to taste used three cubes.

Method

1 Put the chicken in a zip bag dust with Spices Garam masala, Black Pepper and Smoked Paprika,  seal leave half hour to marinate.

2.  Makes spice mix. Spice mill Garam masala, Cumin ,Paprika, Fennel Seeds ,Cinnamon, Tumeric, Cayenne blitz up.

3.  Add to a bowl with hot water leave and make a paste stir.

4.  Blender sauce add Passata, Garlic and Ginger Puree plus spice paste from bowl, mango chutney touch water blitz up.

5.  Onions to food processor slicer to a stock pot add oil plus Worcester sauce dash. On a medium heat.  Colour a little bit.

6.  Add chicken from zip bag roll around onions and any excess spices.  Seal gently for a few minutes

7.  Add sauce blender to Stock pot plus diced potatoes if using fresh now.  Cover 30 minutes.

8.  Add now after 30 minutes tin potatoes drained half.  These are already cooked so do not need a lot of cooking.

9.  Put portion microwave rice on  Saucepan cover water flavour it with stockcube and add in beans drained portion up for numbers.  Add Tumeric Rice 1 teaspoon or half if cooking for one.

Bring to a simmer for five minutes drain.

10.  Check curry gentle simmer check meat OK.  Test a bit taste.

11.  Add frozen spinach allow to gently thaw into stockpot.  Mix in.  Ten minutes adjust 

12.  Add drained rice on a bowl with portion of sauce and chicken.

13.  Any left over chilli curry sauce great with other meats.  Good with sausage meatballs.

14.  Roll out of skins sausages good ones into meatballs season with spice mix Garam masala.

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Oooh! Love this thread! 
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @mossycow   Thank you very much.  I am doing this because I get so many questions on spices and the answer is will curries harm me or hurt me and make me ill.

Not at all.  All curries are a spiced stew not the take away ones  These are ideal for all curry lovers and those who wished to try.

Please adapt to your own taste.  Most curries have a base usually Ginger, Garlic and Onions and the spices Turmeric and Cumin, Fennel seeds.  Feel free to mix and match make your own.

Want to not add chilli do not have to.  If cautious about spices just leave it out.  Remember the choice is yours.

Some Indian cultures I believe do not have Ginger and Garlic in their curries because they say the senses are heighten and aroused..

I like Garlic and Ginger hate the chopping and dicing so buy ready to use why not.

Ask me anything if you wish to.

What do like curry or spice wise?

Take care

The Spiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @thespiceman
    can you just not make me some please and thank you  :)
    it sounds amazing, still not bought spices, all I have at the moment is hot chilli powder, chilli flakes , paprika.
    need to get one of those full spice racks I think
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @susan48 Understand I can make one for you.  Anytime.  Please do not buy a spice rack.  Just go to Supermarkets.  Also buy own brand and like ASDA or Tesco a lot cheaper.

You can get spice blends.  Have a look.  It is a matter of choice you be OK.

Even Aldi and Lidl sell priced very good spices.

In the old days and had money.  Holland and Barrett.   Which may I add are expensive but only if really want to. Hope that helps.  Also Spices ground do lose flavour if not used.  As with any thing ground like spices or herbs.  That is why you add hot water .  Stirs up the oils and make a paste.  Also keep in sealed jars away from sunlight.

Spices like Turmeric and ones like Ginger ground and Cumin and Coriander ground buy small amounts.  I like buy glass jars just one of each.

In my stores plastic container labelled with a dispensing spoon.

I use a lot so I buy Cinnamon and Fennel Seeds two jars, but I use them all the time.  I buy cartons of Garam masala and Paprika but I do as I say use them a lot.

Remember a teaspoon or half a teaspoon is not much.  I am coming to end of my spices just keep buying small amounts.  Which is sensible.  Also on the pocket.

You will be fine.

If you wish to ask anything else give me a shout.  Remember this is your curry.  You do what ever you wish.  Do not want to add a spice do not as long it has Turmeric and Fennel seeds or Cumin Onions and that is it.

Strictly speaking why you need those three spices.  Because they are for digestion basically.  Also Onions are full of antibacterial properties. So the whole reason of a curry is to cook meat or fish to flavour the food. 

Remember also this dish curry is to cook food that has not been fresh.  Meat or fish in the days before refrigeration.  May have been hanging around a few days shall we say.  So spices are used to preserve food as well.

Remember you are in control and I will be here any time.

Just now and again household duties call.  Pressing engagement my ironing.  Sorry silly joke.

My messages from the forum.  You know who you all are.  lol

My evening meal to do.  So that is later..

Take care.

The one and only spiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    I started buying spices and herbs as a student. I decided I'd buy one new one every 2 weeks or so. Its now 20 years later! Still enjoying finding new things to do. I decoded 6 months ago to have a go at making curries from scratch and it was much easier than I thought.. 

My tip would be to look in Asian /Chinese supermarkets, buy in bulk and swap/share with friends and family. For example, small jar of cinnamon might be 90p...but I just got a bag of cinnamon which will fill the jar 10 times for £1.49.... Which is great as we eat loads of cinnamon.

I'll have a look in Ali and Lidle thanks for the tip! 

I'm diabetic so often add cinnamon instead of sugar to porridge, cake, rice pudding etc so we get through loads. 

I also use a lit of Turmeric. 

(Can I just say... I've just had quite  bad pain attack and this thread is really helping take my mind off as I sit with heat pack and waiting for top up drugs to start)

Interesting about spices preserving food too.... Hmmmmm yummy
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @thespiceman
    id heard that’s how curry was created, to be able to eat not fresh meat and fish.
    wasnt sure if true but clearly it is.

i didn’t know that about onions either, antibacterial agents.
    surpising how much Iv learned from your good self.
    had a chuckle today, roast chicken breast sandwich for lunch and was putting some salt on it and noticed the label on the salt grinder, the spice emporium, thought of you  :)
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @susan48 Thank you my friend.  I will hopefully be doing other recipes might look at herbs next.  Coming into Spring Summer.

Some simple ideas for Spring Summer eating combining Spices.

Hope to speak to you soon.

Take care

The spiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @mossycow Thank you for information and kind comments.

Understand that we all have ideas and use spices to good effect.  That is great.  I did not know about Chinese supermarkets, wonder where the nearest one is to me.

Try and find out.

Always a pleasure to talk to a fellow spice person.

Great any ideas or anything I can help with let my know.

Always willing to share.

I do know the Indian and Chinese food we all have at the take aways are in my humble opinion far from the originals.

I once went to Glasgow to a street where the Chinese part I forget name of streets.  All I know looked at Menu and all of it not for me.

Asked the guy running it, what do eat not this he said.  This for you British people.

Well can I have what you eat then, shocked he made it then and there.

Just a Pork Stew dish with simple flavours and few spices.

So it is the same with Indian restaurants nothing there I like really . 

So am very aware of what I like.

Hope you enjoy anything I make.  Adapt it for your own tastes

Take care

The spiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness