Health assessor thinks I'm fit for work despite medical letters — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Health assessor thinks I'm fit for work despite medical letters

neraketat
neraketat Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Having problems with ESA so I am quite interested in reading this. Having worked for over 40 years the last 5 with my condition not being diagnosed was a struggle but now having finally got there my consultant has said in both letter and verbally that I am physically and mentally incapable of work , Drs notes back this up.I provide these to the DWP all the time but their Health Assessor(HA) seems to think I am 'fit for work'. Don't actually know what qualifications this HA has in neurological cases -Im not happy due to go for another one on 6th April as they have already reduced my money to £49.80 per week as I get a massive pension of £86 pm so I am supposed to be able to live on less than £300 pm , pay bills and buy food -I don't have extravagant tastes (just as well) but I do have bills that have to be paid and food to live- its worse than the age I grew up in. Any advice off anyone would be a big help as I see people who have never worked a day in their life bleeding the system whilst genuine people seem to get nothing - is this because we are too naïve???

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Karen @neraketat and welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    I am not a benefits advisor but we do have some excellent ones working here and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Other knowledgeable and experienced members will no doubt be in touch too.
    Bear with us and keep in touch,
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Karen and welcome

Are you at reassessment or review ?

Have you asked for /received a copy of the assessment report ?

Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

Do you claim PIP ?

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • neraketat

Hi there, thanks for the posts! This is my second HA and I asked for a copy of the previous one as certain things didn't add up. The HA said that I was going out with friends all the time -this was not what I said what I did say I had managed to gout with my friends once and they commented on the fact that I couldn't even pick up my sandwich as the nerve damage kicked in and I was shaking it was embarrassing! To this I have still not received a copy of that report

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • neraketat

Thank you both for this, CR that was really informative as you said we all tend to say were fine and yes I can do this where in real fact we struggle. I struggle with everyday things. I am undergoing CBT therapy as my condition has made me very low , still waiting to go on pain management programme was supposed to have heard by now so will be chasing that up as my condition is worsening and I don't know how to cope with the pain. I put on the brave face and that is probably my downfall as people think Im fine.The other day I couldn't even pick up a spoon. When I go for my second health assessment I feel after reading CRs comments I will be better prepared  

Thank you again

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.