Medication and driving — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medication and driving

Options
Piggeryinpain
Piggeryinpain Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2018 in Transport and travel
Driving your car and taking morphine, my doctor had me banned from driving, nothing else works to lessen my pain. Any help with something else to take that means I can drive?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Piggeryin pain and welcome

Sorry, we cannot give medical advice on the forum you should talk to your GP about alternatives or see another GP

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Piggeryinpain, and welcome to the community!

As CR says, you should always speak to a GP about medication and health issues. Have you considered seeing another GP to get a second opinion?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Piggeryinpain, if you can only drive by taking morphine and your doctor has requested, stopped you from driveing by informing DVLA then you should listen to your doctor and accept his professional advice opinion as he has yours and the rest of the publics intrest and safety in mind. It is a difficult thing to have to stop driveing but for yours and others it was made for the right reasons. I informed my GP if my condition gets worst I will stop driving, I will not put myself or others at risk.
  • Piggeryinpain
    Piggeryinpain Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    The most upsetting thing about not having a driving licence (I have not taken morphine for six months now) was that I couldn't drive my husband to his dialysis sessions. Ian has now died and his last few sessions were terrible for him as he had to drive himself there. I have another doctor now, a doctor who follows medical Ethics. 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, @Piggeryinpain

I'm glad you have another doctor, do you have support in place for your pain at the moment? 

Brightness