Being a Dwarf and learning to drive and change of circumstances for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being a Dwarf and learning to drive and change of circumstances for PIP

Options
Natalie29190
Natalie29190 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
Hi All,

Been a while since i have posted and i thought as i have a few updates i will post.

In January i called DWP to report a change of circumstances for PIP, i was awarded standard daily living and nothing for mobility in October 2016.

As a child my parents received DLA for living and mobility as being a dwarf i need help even though i am ashamed to say it.

When i hit 16 it all stopped even though i am still the same person.

Trying to be independent at 28 and a dwarf is hard, i expected a lot different to what i am living... I cannot walk much and always in pain...... anyways They received the forms back on 13th March and yesterday my appointment was made for my assessment again for Wednesday 4th... I really need the help for mobility... I am always in pain in my legs and back but even worse walking and can only really walk to 12-15 metres then i stop.... I have a child electric scooter to help me sometimes but cannot use in the rain and only lasts 30 minutes and takes 10 hours to charge....

Anyways..... i have desperately wanted to learn to drive... i know this would be hard for me, i found no instructors that could help me or teach me so my father decided to buy a Vauxhall Corsa 2002 for me to learn in and i use that with a normal driving instructor.... i have even booked my test for June even though i am only on lesson 3 on my automatic car but i am already driving here there and everywhere and using roundabouts, just need to get the confidence.

That is my little update!

Regards,

Natalie  

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Natalie

That is great, I know you really wanted to drive, keep us in the loop wwhen you have your test.

Good luck also with your PIP assessment, read through your PIP2 form and havea look at the  B&W self  test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Don't get caught in the "how long can you walk" trap, it is how far you can walk

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Options
    Well done Natalie, hope all goes well with your driving and pip.  Make sure you attach a time to a length. Don't get caught out on how many minutes can you walk for.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    WOW good for you.
    When they ask how far can you walk. The actual question is "how far can you walk AND NOT BE IN PAIN" so you answer will be 
    In how many steps you can walk on a BAD day AND NOT BE IN PAIN 
    Keep telling yourself that on your way to appointment and good luck
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Misscleo said:
    WOW good for you.
    When they ask how far can you walk. The actual question is "how far can you walk AND NOT BE IN PAIN" so you answer will be 
    In how many steps you can walk on a BAD day AND NOT BE IN PAIN 
    Keep telling yourself that on your way to appointment and good luck
    This is not strictly correct. You are not expected to walk pain free but the severity of the pain has to be taken into consideration  ( to an acceptable standard & safely) and how long before the pain diminishes for you to repeat the distance
     ( repeatedly and in a timely manner)

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness