UC application — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC application

laurahc__
laurahc__ Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
Hi everyone,

I have recently started the application for universal credit, having been signed off work on long term sick leave. I have EDS, fibro, reactive arthritis, various mental health conditions and suspected gastroparesis. The application process so far has been hellish. I've attended two commitment meetings so far, despite being bed/sofa bound the majority of the time and having to attend the meetings is making me more unwell. 

Prior to being signed off work, I was working and have been since I was 16 (now 25), I was offered my dream job in January but have since had to turn it down. I desperately want to be working, just right now my health needs to come first. My work coach keeps asking me when I'm going to be better, I have explained numerous times that there isn't a clear cut answer, more so because there isn't a standard "cure" for anything that I am diagnosed with. 

Despite being medically signed off, I have been told by my work coach that I am available for interviews immediately and available to start work immediately. I'm being sick numerous times a day, I'm malnourished and haven't eaten a meal since 1st Feb. Because of this, I have to ensure that I am work ready, by keeping my CV up to date and actively looking for/applying for jobs. 

I should not be facing being in debt because the system which is meant to help me is making me more unwell, to the point that I want to stop with the application. But that’s the reality. 

If anyone has any tips or advice, I would be really grateful because I'm at a loss of what to do.

confessionsofazebra.blog 

Comments

• despondent
    despondent Community member Posts: 88 Connected
    edited March 2018
    Hi Laura, I am so sorry to hear about how badly you are being treated. It is awful that the Government are ignoring your doctor's advice about you not being able to work, and are basically forcing you to look. I can see how the stress of this would make anyone iller.

You must try and eat otherwise you will get worse, I hope you have friends and family that can help you in this regard.

I do think you need professional help such as from Scope (it is a free number), or the Citizen's Advice Bureau. I hope you get support soon.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi laura

Have you looked at claiming new style ESA ?
    I don' know if this ia an option for you

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#how-to-claim-new-style-esa

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • laurahc__
    I'm in a full service area for universal credit, so as far as I know, all applications are through universal credit and depending on my work capability assessment, that will determine the area I fall into. I could be wrong though. 

In regards to the eating, I am trying, but eating makes me very sick, hence the malnourishment. I'm on supplement drinks to try and prevent further issues.
    confessionsofazebra.blog 
  • despondent
    despondent Community member Posts: 88 Connected
    edited March 2018
    Have you tried or thought about making your own juice using vegtables and fruit, this would greatly enhance your nourishment. If you use a juicer it takes away all the pulp so you are just left with nourishing liquid which would be easier for you to digest.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @CockneyRebel ive never heard of new style esa. Thats why sites like this are great! I will look into this now. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @laurahc__ keep your chin up this too shall pass, or so I keep telling myself.
  • laurahc__
    Have you tried or thought about making your own juice using vegtables and fruit, this would greatly enhance your nourishment. If you use a juicer it takes away all the pulp so you are just left with nourishing liquid which would be easier for you to digest.
    Yup and my body orally evacuates it
    confessionsofazebra.blog 
  • laurahc__

@laurahc__ keep your chin up this too shall pass, or so I keep telling myself.
    thank you x
    confessionsofazebra.blog 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.