Hi, my name is laurie! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is laurie!

laurie
laurie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I am confused as for 7 years I've been on benefits due to not being able to work in this time I have qualified for free Dentist and prescriptions I am on a lot of medication but today I received a letter for dental charges it said I did not qualify because I no longer receive ESA income based benefit I didn't know they had changed me to contribution based support group of ESA in November 2017 now I'm really worried as I won't be able to afford my medication or pay to go to dentist i have a live in carer but he doesn't contribute to any thing as he cares for me I get £109.65 a week plus PIP standard mobility and standard care . I just don't understand why my benefit does not qualify me any more I'm single and live separately from my carer but in the same dwelling.

Comments

• sony
    sony Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello Laurie, I'm new here but just wanted to say that this happened to me once and messed up my housing benefit, best thing to do is ring ESA and ask why it has changed from income based to contribution based and why wasn't you informed, it might just be an error unfortunately you won't be able to ring them until Tuesday because of Easter holidays, sorry I can't be of more help.
  • laurie
    laurie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thanks I've tried looking into it and what I have found is I think that after a period of time on the income based ESA because i cant work and with my disabilities wont work in the future ive been placed in the long term contribution based ESA but this means I have to pay for all prescription charges Dentist and eye tests but I'm really worried as I'm on so much medication I didn't realise it had changed four months ago back in November until I got the dentist bill this morning and now I'm expecting a bill for my prescriptions which would be hundreds of pounds to. As I can't work i think it's stupid that one day everything is free and the next it will mean i cant afford to go to the dentist or get my medication i just dont have the money and all this with nothing in my circumstances changing .
  • sony
    sony Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi @laurie sorry I can't be of more help the benefits system is a minefield and totally understand where your coming from, hopefully someone  from the forum who  has better understanding of this will come on to help both of us.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Laurie (I'm guessing :) ) @laurie and a warm welcome to the community. I'm glad to see you've met one of our new members already (so hi to you too, @sony )
    Not a benefits advisor, I can't answer your questions with any confidence, but we do have advisors here who thoroughly know their stuff and who will get back to you as soon as possible. The weekend and Easter may slow things down a little, but not for very long. So bear with us, if you can, and we will get back to you.

In the meantime, if there is anything else you would like to tell us or to ask us, please don't hesitate to do so. 

Warmest best wishes to you (and to @sony too)
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi laurie and welcome

If your circumstances haven't changed then neither should your benefit unless you have a review. or other money coming in
    Does your carer claim carers allowance for you ?

You do need to ring DWP as soon as possible
    You might also get f2f advice from CAB or similar

On the practical side you should apply for an HC2 certificate which entitles you to free NHS services if you are on a low income

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme/hc2-certificates-full-help-health-costs

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness