Severe mental problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe mental problems

Options
DAVYBOY
DAVYBOY Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello can I claim pip if I have mental problems and insomnia. I was abused at a younger age as well
 I live alone the mental health tram have put a Safe guard on me as a vulnerable adult can u help me please
            David from Cornwall

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, your mental health problems and insomnia count, however there's no guarantee that you'll get PIP. Send them docs letters, etc., but you have to make certain that you describe how you function for each of the questions. Just saying that you have these diagnoses won't get you anything. So, for example, for preparing and cooking a meal, do your mental health problems and insomnia make it difficult for you to prepare fresh food and cook it above waist height? Do you have to use an aid or appliance? Can you not do it at all? Why not? If you're on meds, do they affect your ability to cook? Explain that kind of thing for each question, and tell them about a time when your conditions caused a problem.

Filling out the forms is far more complicated than it looks - there are all kinds of rules and ways you should phrase things - not lie about it or anything, but they look for certain language. I'd ask CAB, Welfare Rights, or perhaps your CPN (if she knows how the process works) for help to fill them out.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Everyone is different so it really does depend on how you're affected everyday. Have a look at the PIP descriptors and see what points you could score. The PIP self test is a good place to start, it doesn't mean you'll score those points but it will give you some idea. http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

You'll need evidence to support a claim. Don't expect them to contact anyone for evidence because they rarely do this. To start a claim off you ring the PIP help line.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.