Hello — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello

mandaayr
mandaayr Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi everyone. I found this site when I was looking for some support after a very traumatic pip assessment interview. I am 48 yrs old and was diagnosed with a spinal AVM (artrovenious malformation) on the 31st December 2015. I have had different presenting symptoms for several years and just kinda learned to live with them, but was only after a car accident that my physio noticed my symptoms were definitely not normal. I was tested for MS and tumours and had several MRI’s and tests before finally getting confirmation of my diagnosis after a cerebral angiogram. I continued to work full time while awaiting what the neurosurgeons plan was, however I had a suspected bleed in November 2016 which quickly changed everything. I was signed off my work after it was highlighted that I also had anaurysms and this or my AVM could have caused the bleed. It has also been discovered that because of the complexity of my AVM both inside and outside my spinal cord, that I cannot have any treatment. My symptoms are there all the time, some more debilitating than others and definitely fluctuating. I continue to work but have reduced my hours and have had to change my role. This has had a big impact on my life both mentally and financially. A family member had suggested PIP as I do now rely a lot on my husband and also my mobility has been affected. The assessor was very blunt and kept cutting me off when I tried to explain my illness. It is rare and I tried to explain how it effects me but she quickly shut me down and stated that she only needed to know how if affects me. Luckily it was a bad day for me and my mobility was not good and my pain did not allow me to carry out some of the exercises she asked. I also felt she tried to “catch me out” by asking questions about how far I could walk then later asking “ so how far away is your desk from the work car park. There is so much more I could say but feel I am droning on

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi mandaayr and welcome

Never worry about telling us your problems, the more we know the better able we are to point you in the right direction

It sounds like a fairly typical " grumpy " assessment. It is true that PIP concentrates on how your condition affects the things that you can do, the "HOW" medical evidence of your condition only attests to the " WHY " it does.

I have given up trying to predict the outcome of any assessment. I is a good idea to ask for a copy of the assessement report.

Although PIP is a non means tested benefit and you can work full time and still be entitled to claim, the fact that you are working may have a bearing on your claim

It is import to understand the points scoring system, descriptors and criteria for an award albeit after the event now. You might want to look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Please have a look around the site and come back with any questions or join in with any thread

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mandaayr
    mandaayr Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi CR
    Thank you for your reply I will have a look around the site for some advice and have a go at the self test.
    mandaayr 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mandaayr
    Im sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. Best of luck to you, do let us know the outcome.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.