PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

Anchorman1
Anchorman1 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Was given full mobility and later it was made indefinite.Seems that means nothing.Still waiting on the forms and have been told they hold back the forms so you have to return the car and can wait anything up to a year waiting on a decision.
Anyone know why this is happening and if its true.Mine is up in May or june.Was given ESA again in the support group.was pretty quick once i i sent the forms back.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Anchorman and welcome

There is lots of poor information and speculation banded about with regard to PIP

Things to know about PIP

Get face to face advice from CAB, welfare rights or similar whenever possible

DLA and PIP use different criteria for awards

Just because you had DLA indefinately does not guarantee you will qualify for PIP

When making the initial phone call ask for your DLA to be taken into consideration if applicable

When you receive your PIP2 form you can ask for an extension of two weeks to complete and return it if need be.

It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and criteria for an award Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

PIP is about how your condition affect your functionality. The "HOW"
    Medical evidence is only usefull to explain the "WHY. On its own, medical evidence will not win you an award
    Only send relevant medical evidence. More is not always better. HCP's and DM's will not spend time combing through your edition of War and Peace to find the facts.

Most claimants will be required to attend a f2f assessment, usually at a centre.

If you are unable to attend a centre and need a home visit, you will normally require a GP's letter stating explicitly that you cannot attend a centre and why. There must be no ambiguity.

When you receive an appointment date you can rearrange it once only, you must then attend the new appointment

Failure to attend will result in your file being returned to the DWP and your claim maybe closed.

When you do attend the assessment you may take a companion for support.

Make no special effort, be yourself

Most people with long term conditions have learned to manage and conceal their condition. On the day you must become "disabled" for the assessor to see the real you, otherwise an incorrect assessment is likely.

If you have a home visit, the assessor is just the same as any visitor , they do not have the right to look around your home.
    If possible have a companion with you
    Keep to your normal routine. If at the appointed time you are normaly still in bed or not dressed, then, if you are comfortable, there is no reason to alter that.
    You decide which room the assessment takes place in
    Assessors may arrive early or late so be ready. Have your ID and medication list to hand.

The assessor will be observing everything you do from the start, how you sit, stand, walk, handle items such as bags and coats.

Don't expect them to answer many questions, they have an agenda and will want to stick to it.

If you have a companion they can take notes.

After the assessment you should ring the DWP and ask for a copy of the report, but wait for 3-4 days for them to receive it. Do not be fobbed off, you are entitled to it no matter what the phone jockey tells you.

When you receive the report it will give you an indication of your possible award it is a recommendation only, it is the DM that makes the decision and it may differ.

When you receive the decision letter, you have a month from the date on the letter to ask for a mandatory reconsideration, no extension is normally given. You can do so by phone and or letter.

If you have received an award the decision letter will tell you what it is, how much and from when.
    If it is a new claim it will be dated from the day of the first phone call. If a change from DLA then it should be dated the day after your DLA stops. If it is a review then it should be a continuation with any back date if a higher award is given

Look for both the end date and the "We will contact you after " date. Reviews are usually carried out a year before the end date. Some shorter awards have an end date and you will have to reapply.

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Well explained yet again CR, if people don't understand your explanation of claiming pip then I should give up . Keep posting your input and knowledge is much appreciated.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed in my experience with assessments done by atos for dwp, they just lie about what I said, they use parts of sentences andomit the relevent parts and I expect to fail. I agree with the statement in the quotes and thats the way you have to be, but they still lie. You have to wait for appeal and hope its not atos. Its a disgrace. Has anyone triedvusing a diary record of days as evidence and had any success with it?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed Thanks

I am in no way suggesting that anyone should put on an act and pretend to be worse than they are, many people are already stressed, but at the same time it will not help if the claimant " Puts on a brave face" as my gran used to say

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    @Anchorman1,

They definitely can't take your car whilst you still get your full mobility (I assume DLA high rate mobility is what you're currently getting?), and if the forms for PIP are late, then do check the return date carefully, & ask them if you need more time.

DLA shouldn't stop unless you fail to return the forms on time, don't attend the medical, or until there is actually a negative PIP decision - and even if PIP is refused following the medical, DLA doesn't stop immediately after that decision. Also, Motability have a package to help people who don't get the award of PIP they need for their vehicle. The help you get will depend on when you joined the Motability scheme. 

Because of the number of appeals in the system, it's true that if you needed to go down that route, you might have to give your car up before you got the correct PIP decision. But you definitely shouldn't have to worry about the forms being held back - they can't penalise you for that. You should have one month from the day the PIP questionnaire is sent out to return it. And if you need longer, you should ask and explain why. Meanwhile, your DLA continues, as does your Motability lease.

Hope this helps a bit. Thanks CR and Mike as ever for your explanations as well.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Thanks Mikehuges, for pointing out that it is easier to challenge a decision if you are said to have a good day.  My assessor wrote I was having a good day, can't remember saying that, but  if need be will use it if I have to go to tribunal.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Anchorman1
    Anchorman1 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thanks Will.Yes i get full mobility and it is a concern of mine.I am due my new car in June as yet i haven't received the forms.Should i inquire about them or just wait.Thankyou in advance
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    @Anchorman1 if you haven't received a form asking you to claim PIP yet, then I wouldn't inquire - it will happen soon. If you ring up about it, you could trigger the process, so it is usually best just to wait until the DWP get round to sending you the forms.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.