Can I get PIP even though I don't receive medication? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get PIP even though I don't receive medication?

070965Sl
070965Sl Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is susie ive suffered fibromalgia nervous anxiety and depression for about 25 years and chronic kidney disease for about 3/4 years my question is can i still be entitled to pip if i dont receive medication for my conditions apart from depression tablets as it interfers with my kidney function

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi susie and wecome

The answer to your question  is yes. PIP is a test of functionality rather than condition but you might have to work a bit harder to prove your case

Things to know about PIP

Get face to face advice from CAB, welfare rights or similar whenever possible

DLA and PIP use different criteria for awards

Just because you had DLA indefinately does not guarantee you will qualify for PIP

When making the initial phone call ask for your DLA to be taken into consideration if applicable

When you receive your PIP2 form you can ask for an extension of two weeks to complete and return it if need be.

It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and criteria for an award Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

PIP is about how your condition affect your functionality. The "HOW"
    Medical evidence is only usefull to explain the "WHY. On its own, medical evidence will not win you an award
    Only send relevant medical evidence. More is not always better. HCP's and DM's will not spend time combing through your edition of War and Peace to find the facts.

Most claimants will be required to attend a f2f assessment, usually at a centre.

If you are unable to attend a centre and need a home visit, you will normally require a GP's letter stating explicitly that you cannot attend a centre and why. There must be no ambiguity.

When you receive an appointment date you can rearrange it once only, you must then attend the new appointment

Failure to attend will result in your file being returned to the DWP and your claim maybe closed.

When you do attend the assessment you may take a companion for support.

Make no special effort, be yourself

Take your medication as prescribed

Most people with long term conditions have learned to manage and conceal their condition. On the day you must become "disabled" for the assessor to see the real you, otherwise an incorrect assessment is likely.
    I am in no way suggesting that anyone should put on an act and pretend to be worse than they are, many people are already stressed, but at the same time it will not help if the claimant " Puts on a brave face" as my gran used to say

If you have a home visit, the assessor is just the same as any visitor , they do not have the right to look around your home.

If possible have a companion with you

Keep to your normal routine. If at the appointed time you are normaly still in bed or not dressed, then, if you are comfortable, there is no reason to alter that.

You decide which room the assessment takes place in
    Assessors may arrive early or late so be ready. Have your ID and medication list to hand.

The assessor will be observing everything you do from the start, how you sit, stand, walk, handle items such as bags and coats.

Don't expect them to answer many questions, they have an agenda and will want to stick to it.

If you have a companion they can take notes.

After the assessment you should ring the DWP and ask for a copy of the report, but wait for 3-4 days for them to receive it. Do not be fobbed off, you are entitled to it no matter what the phone jockey tells you.

When you receive the report it will give you an indication of your possible award it is a recommendation only, it is the DM that makes the decision and it may differ.

When you receive the decision letter, you have a month from the date on the letter to ask for a mandatory reconsideration, no extension is normally given. You can do so by phone and or letter.

If you have received an award the decision letter will tell you what it is, how much and from when.
    If it is a new claim it will be dated from the day of the first phone call. If a change from DLA then it should be dated the day after your DLA stops. If it is a review then it should be a continuation with any back date if a higher award is given

Look for both the end date and the "We will contact you after " date. Reviews are usually carried out a year before the end date. Some shorter awards have an end date and you will have to reapply.

Some useful links

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ment-providers

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...nd-carers/pip/

https://www.rethink.org/resources/p

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • 070965Sl
    Cockney rebel thank you very much for the feed back this is really frightening i only applied a  few weeks ago and have been regretting it my disabilities are inside and unseen unless im in pain ive always felt like no one believes me especially with little medication but i found your information heartening that you
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Susie

Many of our members have fibro and know how you feel. Hidden disabilities are hard to prove but no less real. Not all GP's recognise fibro because of the many and varied symptoms but more are accepting it now

Please do ask if you have any questions
    CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • 070965Sl
    Yes i  agree ive had real problems with doctors they make me feel lazy or they just deem to dismiss me
  • 070965Sl
    Hi everyone just wanted to update you i had my f2f pip assessment 2days ago the lady came to my home and was really nice it was stressful and embarressing but im glad its over and it seemed to go well i live in northern ireland and ive heard the process differs here so wondered if anyone could shed some light on time scale for me before i hear and when do i ask for my report and who do i ask im also receiving esa support group and wondered if i get an award of pip do i let them no if so does this mean another board with them this whole process has already taken a toll on my mental health dont no if i could face another board thanks in advance
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi Susie

Glad to hear you have had the assessment for PIP.

I would wait a couple of weeks and then contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report.

When you get it, you will be able to work out what you will be awarded.

Its taking about 6 to 8 weeks in England to get an award letter following assessment.

In the meantime try not to worry.

Best wishes

Atlas46
  • 070965Sl
    Thank you Atlas46 ill try and put it to the back of my mind and thanks for letting me no who i ring for my assessment copy all the best to you x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.