DLA to PIP 0 points — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP 0 points

donnasmyth
donnasmyth Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I have gone from having DLA high rate mobility for life to scoring 0 points on PIP. This is even though I have now got more disabled than when I was awarded DLA!
I am at a loss as to what to do. I will lose my car which is my lifeline and allows me to live a more independent life. I now face being housebound for most of the time.
I know I need to appeal but haven't got a clue as to how to go about it.
Please help! Any advice greatly appreciated .

Thank you x

Comments

• charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Hi donnasmyth, I am losing mine to.  You need a copy of the assessor notes, which DWP have. You need to put in a MR, with DWP.  This I did when I rang DWP and also put it into writing.  You hav a month from  the date of your letter notifying you  of your award. Include any additional information you have and address each point in your assessment you disagree with.  Write your national insurance number on each page of evidence you send. I sent all this by registered delivery.  
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • donnasmyth
    Thanks ill get started on this straight away. It' not easy though with all the other problems we have though is it. Stress levels throuh the roof! Good luck with yours x
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Hi donnasmyth, I was told to get it over to DWP, how my illnesses affect my everyday life. pIP is different to DLA, PIP is not that interested in illnesses, but how they affect your every day living.  Send in medical evidence but also concentrate on how your illnesses affect you.

lol I am still zinging away on the ceiling with my stress levels.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @donnasmyth

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP including MRs and appeals.  And there is also their Disability Rights Handbook, available to order from their site.

Try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar.
  • donnasmyth
    Thanks guys. It' Good to know I've got company with this. What sort of evidence have you used ? Is it doctors reports and appointment letters? X
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi donnasmyth and welcome

Unfortunately we see similar stories on the forums far too often

You should ask for a copy of the assessment report asap. You will need this to identify the areas that you need to challenge.

You have a month from the date on your decision letter to request an MR. You can do this by letter or phone. Be very aware of this date, do not miss the deadline
    If you haven't asked for the report until now, it is unlikely to arrive before this date so make it clear that you will be sending further evidence and that they should wait before carrying out the MR until it is received.

If you can get further relevant evidence you  should submit this but it is not essential. Often, it is not your evidence that is the problem but the way it is read
    ( or not )

MR's can often take 8 weeks or more but may also be done very quickly and before your new evidence is receiived. If this happens you can ask for the decision to be looked at again taking into account your new evidence.

MR's have a low rate of success at present but this stage has to be completed in order to advance to the appeal tribunal.

There is lots of good info on this site about appeals so please have a look around

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • donnasmyth
    Thanks for the advice cockney rebel. I will be reading all the information available.  I just think it' so wrong for people to have to go through all this when they have enough problems in life already. Makes me so mad! X
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering

Hi @donnasmyth

I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having with PIP.

The advice already given on this post is great, and we also have a lot of useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website. You may find the following video on mandatory reconsiderations of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please do get in touch.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.