Esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa

Options
brooster
brooster Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all,
I am currently self employed waiting for fusion surgery on ankle and cartilage surgery on knee hopefully will both be done at same time.
I can only work 20 hours a week and will be off for at least 3 months my wife is retired and
 I am wondering if I can claim esa for the duration of my recovery can only work now with pain killers any help advice appreciated.
Many thanks
Lee

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi brooster and welcome

Here is the link to gov site

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello brooster

CR has already passed on the Scope ESA link.  I hope this was useful.

Just to add the starting point maybe if you are eligible for contributory or income related ESA.  If it is contributory as you have paid sufficient national insurance contributions then your wife's income will have no impact on your benefit entitlement.  If you haven't paid sufficient NI contributions and you are eligible for income reacted ESA then any retirement income e.g. pensions that your wife receives may reduce entitlement. 

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.