Indirect mental disability discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Indirect mental disability discrimination

freeflow
freeflow Community member Posts: 11 Connected

I am my wife’s carer, we live in Scotland and my wife suffers from Anthropophobia ( fear of people),Depression, Anxiety and panic attacks and has no trust and has actual fear of any authority and people, including Dr’s.

She now has developed Neuroendocrine tumours (NETs) and needs a stomach operation involving the removal of all her stomach and.

I like to know if she will be exempt from the visiting rules, eg can I be there all day as I am her carer and she needs me to keep her calm.

If the ward sister does not allow it, could that not be classed as discriminated against on the grounds of disability or other characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 or a mental health act and therefore as I am her carer and got power of attorney, they would not legally be able to keep me of the ward, as it is my wife’s wish to be there?

The consultant just say’s, it is down to the Ward Sister in Charge, but I like to know, just in case, that there is a law to help me, if need be as my wife needs me to help her recover and stress and panic attacks would be very bad for her, in particular after a major operation.

Thanks

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh that’s a doozy! Good luck
  • Norton2018
    Norton2018 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Aww I feel for yourself and your wife.. My aunt suffered exactly the same and by god did I fight for her.. I think because I'd worked for the NHS as an Health care assistant.. They knew.. I knew.. To much..
    I am not sure what laws are there but I would certainly fight your corner with this... It's very hard to explain if youve not been there but I have... Fingers crossed you get a nice Charge Nurse/Nurse in Charge... Be thinking of you.. But stay strong.. As you both seem a fantastic couple.... 
    Good luck.... X

Sandra 

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im not sure what the laws are, but would you be able to speak to the ward sisters beforehand to explain?
    Does your wife see anyone for her mental health? Would they be able to write you a letter to understand?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • freeflow
    freeflow Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Sam_Scope said:
    Im not sure what the laws are, but would you be able to speak to the ward sisters beforehand to explain?
    Does your wife see anyone for her mental health? Would they be able to write you a letter to understand?
    Thanks ,i done all can at the moment, including talking to the secretary of the consultant, it is now just a waiting game and this is just so frustrating and i just have enough on my plate now and should not have to be doing all this running around, i should just be able to get answers from hospital. My wife is still being assessed by a psychiatrist as we just 6month ago moved to Scotland and the psychiatrist says, if hospital needs answers they need to write to her and she will put them "straight on my wife's needs and support us”. PALS here is PASS and they just provide info, no help and say that talk to hospital, matron, ward sister in charge etc or make complaint if no luck with them. Pass also say’s, one needs to understand it is a all woman ward and therefore one needs to leave more often than not etc. so just getting run around. we written now to consultant again to pass on more info and put on record that i am a carer and my wife's exact needs, after they just ignored our GP's support letter and just said they will try their best, but not giving guarantees, as they got to consider other patient needs at the time. Problem is, consultant is very good, hospital is normally very good, i myself under two consultant for chronic illnesses, just at the moment they are stuck up on archaic rules, sometimes with no communication possible at first stage. This uncertainty is getting to my wife and myself and is no good for her at all.
    In the past i found quoting rules and law at people very helpful and they felt, being able to bend or break rules as they are then protected from repercussions, from their bosses and that is why i was asking for help on rules.
    Sorry for going on, but it also helps to get it out of the system.

Thanks

Brightness