Hi, my name is Debbie18! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Debbie18!

Debbie18
Debbie18 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone am new so just wanted to say hello

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Debbie from Debbie
  • Debbie18
    Hi Debbie I also have fibro diagnosed 12 years ago have degenerative disc disease c3 to c7 and am currently 3 weeks post op for L4L5 decompression and disectomy surgery which looks like it hasn't worked had left side done and now I have the same symptoms on my right side that I had pre op on my left. Had to go private in the end as waiting lists are horrendous and was unable to walk or work so am pretty gutted that I am gonna have to go through it all again seeing surgeon on Thurs we never seem to get it easy do we
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    What’s disectomy surgery? Sorry to hear it hasn’t gone well. I have fibro too and disc issues among other things. Nice to meet you 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Debbie @Debbie18 and a very warm welcome to the community. Very glad to have you with us. You certainly don't seem 'to get it easy', but your obvious courage makes you already quite a hero in my book.
    It was a discectomy that went awry, I take it? It sounds like a pretty awful procedure and my heart goes out to you for its not having worked.
    You're here among friends, now, if we can make any difference, so don't hesitate to ask or tell us anything that might help us to know how best we can be of use to you.
    Here and listening,
    Warmest best wishes to you
    Richard
  • Debbie18
    Thanks Richard as usual can't sleep I go to bed and wake up an hour or 2 later sit downstairs take more meds and try to go back to sleep a few hours later. At present I am a walking pharmacy a few of my recent meds. Fentanyl patch 50mcg co codomol 30/500 amitriptyline 100mg at nite naproxen 500mg twice daily diaz 5mg 3 daily omeprazole 20mg twice daily fexofenadine 120mg once daily zofran melt 4mg once daily. Can't sleep can't eat a vicious circle. The only good news is am getting to see surgeon on Thurs to see what my options are regarding further surgery and am thankfully covered as I took out a package deal for op which covered me for surgery 2 nite hospital stay and any post op problems until I am discharged. I guess I just thought once the surgery would be done that would be me fixe. I suffered with low back pain for years and was always told it was sciatica which progressively worsened over time until the stage I couldn't walk and the waiting list on nhs for urgent surgery was a year. They have also referred me to neurology which has a year waiting list also. The thing I am most annoyed about is the fact I told them I had pain in both legs but the mri showed it on the left side and at the time my left leg was the worst. One week post op I woke in the nite with horrendous pain in my right leg the same as I had in my left pre op. I am just over 3 weeks post op and the pain is a lot worse than it was on my left side with numbness upper thigh pins and needles weakness and my heel is completely numb the same symptoms I had in my left leg only worse. I am gutted that I might have to have another surgery as there is no way I could carry on in this much pain. I have been out of work 3 months so far and was only in my new job less than a year so only qualified for full pay 1st month and since then ssp. I had to use the most of my rainy day money for the op and am using the rest to live and pay bills. I am lucky in a way all my kids are grown up and have left home my youngest daughter is 24 and due her first baby in 10 weeks and I wanted to be back to normal before baby is born so I can help her out. Wow that was a long rant lol sorry for such a long post but at same time it was good to get it out as others including family don't really understand though they are all amazing and try their best to help. Nice talking to you Richard 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Debbie18, and welcome to the community! Great to have you here- do let us know if we can be of any assistance.
  • Debbie18
  • JennysDad
    Hi @Debbie18 and thank you for getting back to us. Please don't apologize for the length of a post - I read it through with respect and sadness. As too many people here know, life can be so very unfair.
    And I am intrigued. If the photo is of you, surely it can't be a recent one? No one with a 24 year old daughter (and older children) can look like that, can they?
    Very warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Debbie18
    Lol yes it's a recent one a few months old I might have added a filter though they are good. My oldest is 29 he has aspergers and has an 11 year old son. My middle daughter is 27 no kids just 3 cats and a tortoise she is the career orientated one and loves being an auntie. Meg is my baby at 24. They all lived with me up until 2 years ago when I decided to move closer to my work. I kept my house in Lisburn and the girls stayed in it until Meg met her partner and the rest is history. What about you any kids 
  • JennysDad
    Hello Debbie @Debbie18 and thank you for your reply! You must have a portrait in the attic, to look like that when you have a 29 year old! Very, very impressed :smile:
    Jenny, the little girl in my picture, my deepest ever love and my inspiration, would have been 32 this year. She was born in 1986 with a calamitous assortment of disabilities and passed in 1991 (long enough ago for me to be able to talk about it easily). I lost her 3 months after her brother Christopher was born, so he's now 27 (maths were never my strongpoint). He lives and works in London, whilst my second wife and I live out in the leafy suburbs. We do have two, now-quite-elderly cats who have that singular propensity of cats who are mostly white-haired for sitting on the nearest and blackest item of clothing they can find.
    You mention Lisburn, so I'm guessing you're in Northern Ireland? Somewhere I've never been but would love to visit.
    Really lovely to hear from you,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

Brightness