I am having great trouble going to Sleep — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am having great trouble going to Sleep

Colourfull
Colourfull Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
Hi to all,
I have insomnia go to sleep at about 7 n then carnt get to sleep still awake now lol what can I do it's right annoying
To say the least.
Doc says I cannot have any more Sleeping Tabs so what can I take.

Colourfull.

Comments

• snuggly
    snuggly Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have the same problem I haven’t sleep through the night for years.
    ok first if you don’t drink decaf change to decaf don’t worry soon you won’t taste the difference. 
    Dont have your bedroom to warm . 
    You could try a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow . 
    If you have a CD player try playing rain falling cds or the sea etc .
    i put my radio on I listen to radio 4 extra they have stories,comedy club etc sometimes just having that on can help me drift off to sleep and when I wake up I just listen to it until I drift off back to sleep.
    and if I am really having problems and nothing else is helping the shipping forecast by the time they get to dogger bank I’m drifting off back to sleep.
    but also I will imagine I’m laying on a tropical beach ,imagine listening to the waves ,sipping a cool drink .ive never been abroad so this is the closest I get.
    but you can imagine anything you want .another thing I imagine is travelling forward or backwards in time imagine what I would say to people in the future what would their mode of travel be what kind of clothes would they be wearing.if I imagine travelling back in time I imagine what my town would look like I imagine going and meeting my great grand parents imagining do I tell them I’m their great grand daughter and how would I explain it .
    ok sounds daft but while your imaging what ever you want it might help you drift off to sleep because while doing this you are not thinking about your worries they are blocked out from your thoughts.
    if you have a dog and if he or she doesn’t already let them sleep on your bed that helps although it’s a little over crowded with my three on my bed lol
    try not to go on your computer at least two hours before bedtime .
    try and have your bedroom as dark as you can. Even the stand by light on a tv try turning it off.
    sleeping pills I found only work for so long and doctors don’t like people to take them on a regular basis .
    hope something of what I have mentioned might help you I know some of it sounds crazy . 

• Colourfull
    Colourfull Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi Snuggly,

Thankyou for the info I will try it although I don't have a very good imagination if you see what I mean I can't really visualize what situations are like I just use thought processes don't know why just think it's how my brain works for some reason.

I really would like to visualize good things that have happened.

Colourfull.

• sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    @snuggly Hi think that might of got @Colourfull off to sleep Lol

If not try reading a book, I'm usually gone before the second page.  Only up now cos of trying to read the following earlier and had to go for a very long snooze. 

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmworpen/829/829.pdf
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    @Colourfull, soz I'm really slow at typing

Brightness