disability confident - a complete farce? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability confident - a complete farce?

Options
shameer
shameer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2018 in Work and employment
Hello,

I am just posting to share my experience with this so called disability confident scheme.
I am really beginning to wonder whether such a thing actually exists or is it merely a flashy, PC, but otherwise empty gesture aimed at ticking a minority box to appease the nouveau culture for political correctness...?????

My complaint to BT (still to this day unanswered) is as follows:-

Sent 12/03/18 @15.49

Dear BT Recruitment Team,

The issue has most certainly not been resolved and I am feeling quite stunned by the correspondence I have received from BT's recruitment (copied below - received within past hour - shortly after your mail).

This is in complete violation of BT's responsibilities and commitments to disabled people as per the disabled confident scheme (of which BT declares it is part of).

As a disabled person, applying to positions at companies like BT and other large firms who are signed up and have undertaken an obligation to abide by the rules of being a Disability Confident Employer is supposed to offer me a level playing field. 

Even after several emails stating BT is not abiding by its obligations to my application as a disabled applicant I have either been ignored, or rejected - as you can from the email below. I have 10 years experience within Compliance and regulation and I have repeatedly asked that if you feel my skills do not meet the minimum requirements of the role, then please let me know where I fall short. Clearly this can't be done as I am more than qualified for this role.

I would like to know who to complain to in this regard and request that you also provide details of an external body which monitors BT being a Disability Confident Employer as I really should be taking this up with them also.

Very disappointing and not impressed at all.

Regards, Shameer.

Would like to hear your thoughts people....

Many thanks, 

Shameer.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @shameer, and welcome to the community!

Thank you for sharing this with us, and I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. This is a really interesting area and it would be great to be kept up to date with the progress of your complaint. Hopefully our employment advisors and community members will be able to offer some input too. 

In the meantime, here is Scope's guidance on disability-friendly employment- some of the organisations listed on here may also be able to help.
  • shameer
    shameer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi @PippaScope,

Thanks for the info, most of the websites I am signed up to but will def be in contact with them as I am interested to know if others have had a similar experience.

Unfortunately I don't think anything will come of the complaint. I have had no contact whatsoever, and that is no contact from advisors specific to disability/diversity - (I am referring to Vercida's contact @BT, of whom they reached to personally on my behalf).

Perseverance is the name of the game though right?!! ;-)

S.
  • AlastairCarr
    AlastairCarr Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited September 2023
    Options
  • AlastairCarr
    AlastairCarr Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I can't write what's happened to me because I've signed an NDA with my employer not to disclose the details that happened with me and my company.

Brightness