Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

How to get council to change bath for a shower

jakejake Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have cancer and need advice how to get the council to change my bath for a shower as it is difficult bathing


  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jake and a warm welcome to you. Very sorry to hear about your situation, I'm not able to give you a direct answer, but we have people on here who will, I'm sure, be able to advise you. Please bear with us and somebody will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
    Don't hesitate to say if there is anything else that you might like help with.
    Warmest best wishes,

  • Lasian_AlumniLasian_Alumni Member Posts: 660 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @jake, it's great to have you join!

    @Jean_Scope has recently answered a similar question - do you think the advice given would work for you? I hope this helps  :)
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,395 Disability Gamechanger
    @jake, hello and welcome, you will have to contact the councils adult care team who will send out an oucpational therapist to access your washing needs and offer any advice. You may get help with a lift that lowers you into the bath, the OT is the best person to advise you. Mine provided a bath board to enable men to sit on then stand to use shower over the bath
  • Jean_OTJean_OT Member Posts: 528 Pioneering

    Hi @jake

    I totally agree with want has already been said about contacting the community OT for an assessment.

    Depending on what the plans are for your treatment and the general prognosis, you may find that they are able to prioritise your case to give you support quicker.

    However if the timeframe they can work to isn't compatible with your needs you could also try funding the equipment/adaptations with a charitable grant, Macmillan can advise further:


    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

  • LisaHSmLisaHSm Member Posts: 10 Listener
    I live in Gloucestershire and had to contact the County Council to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. They may do a home visit to check on your requirements and finances. If you get Housing Benefit, apparently you arent expected to contribute. If the DFG is approved, your landlord has to get 3 separate quotes for the work and once they have surveyed and approved a contractor the work should begin fairly quickly. It is a long process up to that point. 
Sign in or join us to comment.