How to get council to change bath for a shower — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get council to change bath for a shower

jake
jake Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have cancer and need advice how to get the council to change my bath for a shower as it is difficult bathing

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jake and a warm welcome to you. Very sorry to hear about your situation, I'm not able to give you a direct answer, but we have people on here who will, I'm sure, be able to advise you. Please bear with us and somebody will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
    Don't hesitate to say if there is anything else that you might like help with.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @jake, it's great to have you join!

@Jean_Scope has recently answered a similar question - do you think the advice given would work for you? I hope this helps  :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @jake, hello and welcome, you will have to contact the councils adult care team who will send out an oucpational therapist to access your washing needs and offer any advice. You may get help with a lift that lowers you into the bath, the OT is the best person to advise you. Mine provided a bath board to enable men to sit on then stand to use shower over the bath
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @jake

I totally agree with want has already been said about contacting the community OT for an assessment.

Depending on what the plans are for your treatment and the general prognosis, you may find that they are able to prioritise your case to give you support quicker.

However if the timeframe they can work to isn't compatible with your needs you could also try funding the equipment/adaptations with a charitable grant, Macmillan can advise further:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support/benefits-and-your-rights/macmillan-grants.html

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• LisaHSm
    LisaHSm Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    I live in Gloucestershire and had to contact the County Council to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. They may do a home visit to check on your requirements and finances. If you get Housing Benefit, apparently you arent expected to contribute. If the DFG is approved, your landlord has to get 3 separate quotes for the work and once they have surveyed and approved a contractor the work should begin fairly quickly. It is a long process up to that point. 

Brightness