Disability Days/Accessable Swimming Pools Derby/Ilkeston — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Days/Accessable Swimming Pools Derby/Ilkeston

Options
GothOnWheels
GothOnWheels Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hey Guys.
Have recently become wheelchair bound after an incident relating to my disability. I used to swim as it helped the aformentioned disability, but now i'm not only not sure whats gonna happen when i get in a pool, i'm not sure HOW i'm gonna get into a pool.

My local pool is Queens Leisure Center in Derby Center, the only problem is that not only do they not have a wheelchair hoist thing in the main pool (not sure about the others so gonna conatct them), they don't have any disability only/friendly days in their calender. I'm not sure I'm comfortable working out how i'm gonna be able to swim around abled bodied people that aren't gonna be looking out for where other's are (ESPECIALLY children/young people).

Does anyone know any other pools in/around Derby and Ilkeston that would be able to help me or i could get in contact with?

Thanks in Advance x
Not broken, Just more interesting

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GothOnWheels
    Options
    Victoriad said:
    Why don’t you ask your local council?
    They will also be able to explain the lack of hoist etc and if they can supply reasonable adjustments.

Unfortunately my local council is terrible for stuff like this. I'm trying to go through them at the moment, but I'm also looking here due to the roadblocks I'm hitting (being bounced aroun d between departments as to who can actually help me)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GothOnWheels
    Options
    Victoriad said:
    There should be a section that deals with the blue badge scheme, consider asking their OT about help and advice and bypass all the other departments who probably don’t have a clue.

I'll look into it thank you ^_^

Brightness