Crohns disease and getting kicked off the sick onto job seekers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Crohns disease and getting kicked off the sick onto job seekers

decdavkie
decdavkie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I've have chrones had for over 3 years now they keep kicking me off the sick and putting me on job seekers allowance I'm 58 and can't really get out and about to much as I need the toilet quite a lot what can I do please

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @decdavkie and a warm welcome to the community. We're very glad to have you join us, but sorry you're being given such a hard time.
    I suspect that the best people to guide you on this are our benefits advisors and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Please bear with us in the meantime, and keep in touch.
    Here and listening,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Hi @decdavkie
    Welcome to the community, you might like to speak to someone at Crohns and Colitis UK as they have a lot of support around benefits.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Here is the contact details for Crohns and Colitis UK

0300 222 5700 or info@crohnsandcolitis.org.uk

The Information Service is open from 9am-5pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday, and 9am-1pm on Thursday, except English bank holidays. Outside these hours, an answerphone service is available

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @decdavkie

Bit of a tricky one, as it may be the case that you simply don't score sufficient points from the work capability assessment, which does not have any room at all to account for people's actual difficulties, and only scores points within a rigid system.

One possible way may be if stress (such as being forced to sign on when you are not fit to do so) exacerbates your condition and causes flare ups etc - if this is the case (and you can get medical evidence to this effect) then you may qualify outside the points system under Reg 29, which provides:-

(b)the claimant suffers from some specific disease or bodily or mental disablement and, by reasons of such disease or disablement, there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if the claimant were found not to have limited capability for work

i.e. that being found fit for work makes your condition worse...

Just a thought.

Obviously in the first instance you need to appeal any such decisions if you have not already done so...

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.