Should I request the assessors report? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I request the assessors report?

sandyp196
sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
I have never requested it before but after being on this site I'm confused whether I should do. The decision maker recieved the report 5 days after my pip home assessment. That was 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a decision yet. I'm not hopeful for a decision in my favour which is why I haven't asked for the report. I couodnt deal with any more stress. But now I'm wondering if I should. Is there any important reason I should ask for it?  What do you think? 
I'm juut not clear why people request the assessors report before the decision is given?
Any info much appreciated. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sandy

You should always request the assessors report asap.

It is good to have for reference if you receive a just award

It is necessary to challenge a bad result.
    If you wait for the decision you only have a month from the date on the decision letter to request an MR. It is unlikely that you would then receive the report in time to be of use

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I requested mine because I wanted to know what the assessor thought. He scored me what I scored me. The decision maker dropped it again and said why.
    It also tells you why the award length is the length it is. 

For me interesting and possibly useful paperwork.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • sandyp196
    Thank you. I'm still undecided. I will leave it for this week as I'm still mentally recovering from the assessment anD i dont think i could cope with reading a dismissive, minimising or a down right fabricated report. If i dont get a decision this week I plan to ask for it next week.   
  • whistles
    When i rang I left it footer weeks and got the decision on the phone will requesting the forms.
    I must be in the minority becayse my assessor was accurate and didn't lie. 
    I didn't supply the evidence they needed because I only got two weeks to do it over Christmas, plus we still haven't got results etc yet, so no proof. 

• sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    I had a text from DWP saying they had received a written report about my assessment and should hear about the decision (as a guide) in the next 4 weeks. 
    Trying to save myself from more stress I rang to ask for a copy of the report but was told they no longer send them out until a decision has been made because sometimes the DM may need to consult with the assessor which may end up with the report being changed.

As Cockney says you have a month from the date on the decision letter to put in a MR, trouble is by the time you get the letter 10+ days have already passed so leaves little time left to then get the report gather evidence and respond should you need to.

Sandy I know what you are going through, my advice would be to call them asap and ask for the report they may well say yes we will send it (open/read it on a goodish day) but if they say no like in my case request that they send the report with the decision letter.  Hopefully you will get a good result but it is still worth having a copy of the report anyway for future reference.

Don't be an ostrich ; ) Hugs Rosie

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Some of the telephone jockeys are poorly trained and will say anything just to get you off the phone, another phone call and a different jockey may give a better result. Unless you are in NI, where the policy seems to be different although the guide lines are the same, you are entitled to receive the report before the decision is made. Best advice is to ask asap and keep asking until you get it

CR 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lynnpang
    lynnpang Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    sleepy1 said:
    I had a text from DWP saying they had received a written report about my assessment and should hear about the decision (as a guide) in the next 4 weeks. 
    Trying to save myself from more stress I rang to ask for a copy of the report but was told they no longer send them out until a decision has been made because sometimes the DM may need to consult with the assessor which may end up with the report being changed.

As Cockney says you have a month from the date on the decision letter to put in a MR, trouble is by the time you get the letter 10+ days have already passed so leaves little time left to then get the report gather evidence and respond should you need to.

Sandy I know what you are going through, my advice would be to call them asap and ask for the report they may well say yes we will send it (open/read it on a goodish day) but if they say no like in my case request that they send the report with the decision letter.  Hopefully you will get a good result but it is still worth having a copy of the report anyway for future reference.

Don't be an ostrich ; ) Hugs Rosie

hi , 

i believed it is still possible to collect your f2f assessment report upon request. i have been denied the first time but when i tried to call later ON THE SAME DAY, they said they will send one out. 

maybe just try again if you really think it would help. 

hoe you get good result :)

lynnx
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Hi @lynnpang, thanks yes I was told first time I called could not have it until after a decision was made, I asked why and was told because the decision maker may need to consult with the assessor to make some changes to the report.

Independent assessment???? Lol

Called them back a few days later (after reading advice on here) and was told yes no problem we will send it out to you.  Still waiting. 
    My son recorded my assessment so just want to play spot the difference and see why/if I missed the miracle cure that often occurs when people go through those doors.

A new version of Stars In Their Eyes  
  • sandyp196
    whistles said:
    I requested mine because I wanted to know what the assessor thought. He scored me what I scored me. The decision maker dropped it again and said why.
    It also tells you why the award length is the length it is. 

For me interesting and possibly useful paperwork.

Did you appeal? The same thing happened to me. The assessor awarded me 10 points in the mobility but he decision maker reduced the pouts to 4, meaning I didn't qualify. I'm still trying to decide whether to ask for an MR or not.. You say the DM told you why. Your points were reduced.... I had a note from the DM on my decision letter but I didn't understand a word of it.. The DM didn't make clear why my points were reduced. Just said the points were reduced because of information I provided that I wouldn't be aware would affect the outcome. I have no idea what that means. 
    My brother thinks it's because I gave a driving licence as ID. But I have that for ID purposes as do lots of people who are qualified drivers but don't drive. I can't see it big that. It's so confusing.  Iv sent for the assessors report.  
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    ALWAYS request the report.
  • whistles
    No I didn't because even with the assessors input I only got six points. 
    Assessor had given me points because he knew I would need help even though I hadn't provided evidence to show I would. 
    DM knocked off because of that. 

If it's mobility for planning a journey and you can still drive/ are driving. I have known this to be a reason for losing points. I know people use for ID but they add up wonky dots.
    I was asked if I drove, no I cannot drive and I do not have any license for ID. ( that's a pain because everyone expects you to have one these days!)
  • ZeeNina71
    ZeeNina71 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    They say in their MD booklet you can request the ATOS report AFTER they have done the letter of award. This is only because they don't want you to be a step ahead of them and they want to take as long as possible for the hell of it. I sweet talked an operator at DWP and he sent mine 1st class. IT WAS THE BIGGEST WASTE OF PAPER I HAVE KNOWN!!! I immediately made a complaint to ATOS which they got last week... it was a photocopy of their report with my 'comments' in red pen stating the many many mistakes and a whole lot of evidence (wanted or not, I didn't care) I wrapped it in Xmas wrapping paper and stuck their reply envelope on top. Read my post... it has my story on it.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • ZeeNina71
    ZeeNina71 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Lol... at the end of the day, they are public sector, civil servants... I'm too poorly to work anymore but I was a taxpayer for a lot of years, they have had thousands of pounds off me! That means they work for us and we pay them so you do what you like. Before I got ill, I was made redundant when the company went bust in 2009 (on payday, with no pay... nice) it was a real hassle and scramble to get benefits... I was used to 2k a month in my bank, so trying to placate lenders while trying to sort out benefits was really putting a strain on my usual bearable nature. Months later, we were finally able to rub 2 coins together. The council had sent us so much paperwork for housing benefit and really giving us a hard time, I decided to file the huge amount of their paperwork in a big envelope and posted it back to them with about 30ish low priced stamps on it, just leaving the address visible. That's the kind of mature person I am. I heard nothing back from them regarding the matter. :wink:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.