Trying to survive on fresh air! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to survive on fresh air!

Roma_Fletcher
Roma_Fletcher Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can tell me how I'm supposed to survive with no money whilst I'm waiting for my tribunal?!! I can't even afford my prescriptions. Thank you. :(

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome, what’s your tribunal for ? 
  • Roma_Fletcher
    Hi @debbiedo49 my tribunal is for ESA. I'm going to email a local MP today and my housing officer to see if they have any ideas.
  • Toffee
    Toffee Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Hi i am waiting for a MR on mine dwp said I should claim job seekers but she said don't make uc  claim as there no return from that i am confused.. Isn't job seekers saying am fit for work which am not 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Roma_Fletcher
    I think getting in touch with your MP and housing officer would be a great idea.

There is some information here about benefits you can claim whilst waiting on an ESA tribunal.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Roma_Fletcher
    @Toffee, hi, that's what I thought too! This is all so confusing! I'm about to read the information suggested above, see what it says. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Toffee
    dwp told me if you go on uc thats it you stay on it as there is no return 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Please check with DWP if you can claim the assessment rate of ESA while awaiting outcome of tribunal hearing. :)

• Roma_Fletcher
    I haven't had my tribunal as yet, still waiting for a date
  • debbiedo49
    “You might be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) or Income Support while waiting for a decision on your mandatory reconsideration. Claiming these benefits during a mandatory reconsideration shouldn't affect your ESA reconsideration request. Get help from your nearest Citizens Advice if you're not sure whether to claim other benefits.” Can should point you in direction of any other help available. Good luck
  • debbiedo49
  • Roma_Fletcher
    Thank you so much for all the advice. I shall head towards my CAB! Thank you for listening it means the world to me. ❤️
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Roma_Fletcher

Really sorry to hear of the trouble you're having with your ESA. 

You are likely to be able to get some ESA at least if the reason that your benefit has stopped is that you didn't pass your work capability assessment. (as opposed for example to not completing the questionnaire or not being able to attend the assessment appointment). Anyway, do go to your CAB with your paperwork and they should be able to put you in the right direction. 

Regarding your prescriptions and if you don't have an income at the moment, you should be able to get these for free on the grounds of low income.  
    https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/free-nhs-prescriptions

I hope this helps a little. 

Best wishes

Gill_Scope

• CHILIDOG
    CHILIDOG Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've recently had a kidney transplant 2014 and an aortic dissection 2015.My DLA was stopped as I live in a barge and wasn't receiving my post...I also lost all my  E.S.A premiums due to losing my DLA... I've applied for PIP.... Am I likely to get my sickness benefits reinstated????
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi CHILIDOG and welcome to the online community.

Our benefit system is just a tad complicated, and there are so many ifs and buts about most of the regulations. You lost your premiums when you lost your DLA and this means that you might either still be on income-related ESA or you might be on only contributory ESA.

Were you working for the couple of (tax) years, or at least for part of them, before your ESA claim started? If you were working for only part of them, did you have an earnings replacement benefit (for example JSA or Carers Allowance) in the other tax year? 

Are you in or shortly to be in a full service Universal Credit area?  You can check this at entitledto.co.uk.

If we could know the answer to those two questions, we might be able to give you an idea of whether your sickness benefits will be re-instated if you are awarded PIP.

Universal credit has made things more complicated, because if you are currently getting only contributory benefit and are in a full service universal credit area, then a new income-related benefit could only be universal credit, not income-related ESA.  Aaahhh! 

Another option would be to try to visit, if you can, your local CItizens Advice or similar - take your paperwork with you, and hopefully they should be able to answer your question, even if the answer is a bit lengthy!

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
    Scope Helpline 
    Tel: 0808 800 3333

• Toffee
    Ty I just went on that site gave me some good information 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.