Hearing sensitivity -Depression and Anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing sensitivity -Depression and Anxiety

susan48
susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
I’m going out of my mind, what little I have left, with noises.
I can’t bare it, even the dog walking, claws tap rap tapping is really hurting my head.
Every sound is magnified, people talking, eating, the tv, phone.

Everything is on silent but even the fridge noise is intense.

Is it just me and why, why why??????

Can anyone help

Comments

• Roma_Fletcher
    Roma_Fletcher Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Bless you hun ❤️ I suffer with depression and anxiety, it's a terrible place to be. I'm thinking of you, have you thought of maybe wearing ear muffs indoors or cotton wool in your ears. Take care.
  • susan48
    @Roma_Fletcher,
    Thanls for taking time to reply.
    Habe tried ear plugs but they fall out, not cotton wool though, will try that tomorrow, it’s bad during the day but unbearable by evening and tiredness sets in.
    Dont want to bother my gp again as I feel I’m never away from there. It’s making me really irritable. I’m even sleeping in the spare room or living room as my bedroom has lots of windows and on a busy road, so is the spare room, on the busy road but smaller window.
    if that makes sense

sorry I’m going on and on but at a loss 
  • Roma_Fletcher
    Roma_Fletcher Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Bless your heart, it sounds absolutely exhausting. You poor thing. Please don't think that you're going on. You have to talk and let it out, I'm here ❤️. I'll see if I can think of anything else that may be worth trying, my brain has given up for 5 minutes! This might sound stupid; but what about low level music, so that instead of hearing the dog on the floor your listening to something relaxing or distracting and enjoyable. ❤️❤️
  • susan48
    Hi Iv tried cotton wool and it definitely helps.

thanks very much
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @susan48 I have oversensitive ears too. That’s how I found ways to block out every day noise with either white noise or relaxing music that I play on my phone or tablet and Bluetooth it to a speaker next to my bed. White noise that works for me is also the dehumidifier I got to clear the air in my bedroom as I get allergies . So running that on different settings I found it relaxing and clearing for my mind. I always carry headphones in my bag as I like to pop them in as a distraction from outdoor noise as well. I have a big set for at home when I’m lying in bed if it gets too much. It’s no fun having it but you find stuff that works for you. I have tiny ear holes so I have trouble finding small ear phones to fit . You would think that helps it doesn’t lol Good luck 
  • susan48
    @debbiedo49,

thanks for for your reply.
    any noise is overbearing just now, the cotton wool is helping. I too have very small ears so earplugs are sore and uncomfortable.

im glad you’v found some things that work fo you.
    im still searching, hopefully soon. Silly but even the birds outside seem so loud, poor things are just tweeting away. 

Its making me more depressed, paranoid as nobody else seems to hear the things I do.

take care x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Hi @susan48, so sorry to hear about your discomfort. I have chronic ear infections and associated hearing sensitivity (to a lesser severity) myself and I really do feel for you. In addition to the above, you might also like to check out this NHS information on hyperacusis and possible management strategies, as it may be something worth speaking to your GP about. 
  • susan48
    edited April 2018
    Thanks @PippaScope,
    i will look at the link and talk to my gp when I can muster the energy to go.

hopefully getting a CPN appointment soon so maybe discuss it with them.

thanks for your message 

@PippaScope, just looked at the link, Iv read it before but thanks and will definitely discuss it ASAP 

thanks again
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @susan48 Sorry about this my friend just concerned.  I know am an old fashioned gent.  Hate the doctor just been glad I did.  This week.  Wrote it down what I wished to say. 

Helps she sometimes has to deal with me.  No one likes to see a doctor.  Might be worth asking for an advocate.  Some one to call on who speaks for you.

Have done this before.  Always an option to consider.

I understand and feel for you my friend.

Speak to you soon I hope

Take care

Your friend

The Spiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • susan48
    @thespiceman, you are a true gent. Many thanks for your advice and concern.

I usually write things down and take a friend to the doctors with me but I usually wait and end up with loads to ask etc in the 10 minute slot, sometimes don’t get the list finished.

I just hate bothering the doctor with things, had a telephone appointment yesterday re meds but forgot to ask about my hearing.

still waiting on referrals coming through.

I do hope you are doing ok, keep the recipes coming.

Susan
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @susan48 How are you?  Kind words and comments.  Doing up and down today.  Being weekend.  Moods as always playing a part.

I have to be honest gone down to the doctors just given her a list .  This is what is happening.  Please can you read this.

Very obliging and polite.

Not easy is it.  Recalling last week.  Should have sent and said this.

Just a few ideas.

Yes I will try and put more recipes on thank you

Take care

Your friend 

The spiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness