Depression and Anxiety and struggle to ask for help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression and Anxiety and struggle to ask for help

Options
smiler150267
smiler150267 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm struggling with depression and anxiety and a long term debilitating chronic condition that limits my ability to walk or do any tasks for more than a short time . I'm in constant pain and struggle to ask for help 

Comments

• bobives789
    bobives789 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    hi smiler I have similar problems, made worse by being alone. hope you find the strength to get through.
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome smiler. I have silimar problems too and find this group so helpful. 
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @smiler150267, and welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and so sorry to hear that you're struggling at the moment. Do you have any support in place for your mental health?
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know how hard it is to ask for help. Is there someone you can talk this through with and help you with this? I try to set myself small manageable goals that I can achieve by breaking things down into steps. Each step is a win. It depends what how your conditions affect you. There’s help out there if you need it. Good luck 
  • sleepgood
    sleepgood Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    To cope with  Depression and Anxiety and possible related high blood pressure, Insomnia, or even constipation,  the key is to check out the underlying causes first: for example, once you find out the underlying cause is liver function issue, doing some simple liver detox  may help you out

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @smiler150267 Pleased to meet you.  May I thank you for sharing.  The most important thing is acknowledge that you need support and help.

I am a disabled gentleman with mental illness plus finding it a struggle.

Given the changes I have to adapt to what I can do.

Finding support is the thing you need.  The right support.  Try to get a assessment of your needs.  Either contact Council or look on here speak to advisors.  Also look on the web what is available your area.

If that is difficult to ask for.  Contact advocate services who will speak on your behalf  The systems in place are there to support you.  Please be aware of any help and support that is offered to you.  Could be limited time given to you.  This is because of budgets and underfunding.  What you need you have to be clear what exactly you need from services.

I do not want to sound negative but this is the society we all live in. 

Also if you can identify what you need.  Can self help yourself.  I know that is not easy and am myself have to face the truth.  I found even little things can benefit my relationships with support workers.   Going to meetings have some goals and aims in life.  Try to have plans and strategies in place.  To cope.  Have loads of advice and information how to deal with mental illness.  They will assist with forms, benefits and anything else.  What I do know they are not there to run your life for you.  You have to do that.  Afraid that is a stark reality.    Unfortunately there time is sometimes limited.

In my case three years.  That's does happen so need to look around again support and help.

I am being honest with you as the system for help and support is in crisis.

I suggested advocate services.  Certain charities like Rethink offer this service.  Also please be aware of waiting times.  I would also consult my GP.  I am a gentleman finds hard and not easy asking for help.  Have to other wise end up ill.  Go down anytime to see my GP.

Hope any of this helps.

Take care

The one and only Spiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness