PIP home assessment AGAIN — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP home assessment AGAIN

jan777
jan777 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
My 21 yr old daughter has Emotionally unstable personality disorder, bipolar,anxiety , panic disorder , depression and dyspraxia,she self harms and has bulimia.
July 2016 she had a home visit for pip by 2 men.
one of the men had come to make sure the assessor was safe as she has been violent in the past.
We weren’t informed of the second man comming at all.
The assessor had no experience with personality disorder and noted that she had no problem reading etc as she had written 4 books !!! She hasn’t written any books at all and basically fed him a load of rubbish which he believed and enevitably she got her previous DLA award of 10 yrs taken away.
It was a burning hot day in july and she had a thick hoody on covering her arms which she had recently cut but he said she was appropriately dressed !!!
He asked her ‘was she ok keeping her bits and pieces down there clean ‘ ... I was mortified... 2 strange men in normal clothes(not like doctors) asking such personal questions.
He said ‘you don’t make yourself sick anymore do you’ she said no .... lying again !
Anyway she won at appeal and was awarded enhanced pip for 3 yrs last January.
They sent out this new questionnaire 2 months ago to check nothing had changed and now want a home visit again even though she was awarded pip for at least 3 yrs.
When she got thrown off last time these 2 clowns assessed her , she went  worse because she thought they believed she was lying.
Shes attempted suicide 3 times and the idiot assessor harped on asking how would she do it if she tried again !!!
Do I have to let another inexperienced physiotherapist assessor  with no experience in BPD etc come to our home and ask her about ‘keeping her bits clean when she’s on a period’ etc even though 3 independent judges awarded her pip 12 months ago ???
Any advice will be genuinely appreciated 
xxx

Comments

• shazier
    shazier Community member Posts: 82 Pioneering
    Hi jan 777I am so sorry this has been such a bad experience for both you and your daughter...
    , i can't believe they would act with to disrespect in this way, how humiliating and also very traumatised by her experience,
    i feel disgusted that they can to be so insensitive with a young lady,  i cant put into words what i would really like to say about the questions they asked her, its afull.
    . I also suffer from my mental health and they should at least try and make it feel as pleasant as they possibly can, even with physical conditions they should do the same
    . i have mental and physical also but my assessor was lovely, she was a paramedic and when asking me questions about incontinence, she understood it was not very nice and embarring to talk about and got through the question as she quickly could, when it came to asking about overdoes he jaked if i had i felt suicidal or had i done in the pat few weeks.

There is a complaint procedure and others on the group will give more information on this i don't really, know much about it at the moment or how to move forward with it. I do know that you can request male or female assessor when you very first get your call from the dwp for your new pip form., i also wrote mine in my form on the more information so bare tht in mind on your next assesmet.. asking to see someone from a different profession, im not sure you can change that but again, there are good people on here with allot of knowledge and sure someone will  respond very soon and give you somegood advise.
    i know it not easy but try to try to stay strong. you can alo ring dwp and get a copy of the assessor's report. not sure how long you have to wait before you can ask for this but other here will advise you on that to.
    best wishes 
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    Ditto all of the above 
    And very good luck @jan777
    Hopefully the send someone with a bit of sense !
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi jan and welcome

That is one of the worst I have heard

It is usual for PIP awards to be reassessed a year before the end date
    I am sure it is better to have a home visit than attend a centre

If there is anything you need help with please let us know

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    If you are forced to go ahead with the f2f,I would suggest also that you request a female assessor. I would also suggest that you inform the dwp you want to record the assessment. There are rules around recording and you have to follow them. The rules are easy to find online and this site. 
    I suffer from a similar illness and I'm shocked at this. Iv also had my illness used against me in previous assesments.  I.e fantasies of grandeur, feeling and acting invicible. Stress is not good and can trigger symptoms.  I cannot do these assesments anymore without a mental health professional attending with me.  
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Welcome to the community, @jan777. I'm so sorry to hear about what you and your daughter had to go through last time around, I can only imagine how upsetting the experience must have been. I really hope this time is a much better experience.

Please do keep us updated and if there's anything we can assist you with at this point, just let us know.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.