Planning a journey ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Planning a journey ?

april123
april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
I am being moved from DLA INDEFNATLY TO PIP , and would like some advise on this please.  I have had my assessment and she has ticked can plan and follow jounrnj unaided.  I haven't used public transport for years due to mobility issues in my left ankle and it has now affect my right knee and ankle due all my weight compensating for it. Plus have got arthritis in both hands so I'm unable to grip. So on this I had put would need my husband to acompany me so he couldto help me on and off transport, to sit and stand and also being diabetic requiring the toilet little and often would need to be taken into account. The assorer has noted in her report abnormal gait poor grip and requiring suport to sit and stand and walk. Was not asked this question and only just realised . Am I justified to use this in RM.

Comments

• duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    if you haven't lost any money on you benefit don't worry if they knock money from you then appeal and tell them you cant plan route and move unaided, and always travel in taxi that can drop you right at the door for assessment because its not so uncomfortable and always have someone with you to help  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    april123 said:
    I am being moved from DLA INDEFNATLY TO PIP , and would like some advise on this please.  I have had my assessment and she has ticked can plan and follow jounrnj unaided.  I haven't used public transport for years due to mobility issues in my left ankle and it has now affect my right knee and ankle due all my weight compensating for it. Plus have got arthritis in both hands so I'm unable to grip. So on this I had put would need my husband to acompany me so he couldto help me on and off transport, to sit and stand and also being diabetic requiring the toilet little and often would need to be taken into account. The assorer has noted in her report abnormal gait poor grip and requiring suport to sit and stand and walk. Was not asked this question and only just realised . Am I justified to use this in RM.
    As you have mobility issues then you wouldn't score any points in the planning and following a journey part of PIP. This part is for those with Mental Health issues. Even though you need help when you go out, the reason you need help is because of your mobility issues.  The part which you could possibly score points in would be the moving around part of the mobility. The criteria for this for standard rate is can stand and move 20 metres but no more than 50 metres (C) or (D) can stand and move using and aid or appliance 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.

For enhanced rate 12 points. It's no more than 20 metres.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • april123
    I marked 20 to 50 this is what I put 15 years ago although my walking is worse and because I only go from my door into car and out of car to appointment. The assors states I walk 16 yards from waiting area and she googled from taxi to assessment building as approx 60 taking me 10 mins with 2 rests. My husband googled this and it was 50 yards I think I have marked it wrongs would they look again if asked or is it to late @poppy123456
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    its may bee to late has they may think you trying to pull a fast one if you put in a appeal mention it then and list where they got it wrong,seek help from cab or local health officer at your council office.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    april123 said:
    I marked 20 to 50 this is what I put 15 years ago although my walking is worse and because I only go from my door into car and out of car to appointment. The assors states I walk 16 yards from waiting area and she googled from taxi to assessment building as approx 60 taking me 10 mins with 2 rests. My husband googled this and it was 50 yards I think I have marked it wrongs would they look again if asked or is it to late @poppy123456
    Enhanced mobility is 20 metres or less. I agree with duckett that it could be too late to change your mind on the distance in which you can walk. As you previously stated you could walk 20-50. As you also misunderstood the following and planning a journey descriptor, you may have no option but to stick with the award you have and wait until your review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Even though you werre honest and declare you maximum distance. you made no reference to whether you could repeat this, or how long it took you

You are not required to walk pain free but any pain that restricts the distance that you can walk should be taken into account.

Specifically for the Moving Around activity, if you are able to walk but you are in severe pain when doing so, then you can argue that your walking is not to a necessary standard and should be disregarded.

The legal test requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems getting up then you should document these as well.

If you walk slowly then it must take you at least twice the time to cover the 20m as a healthy person would, this could be down to the speed of your walking but could also be the result of having to stop.

You must be able to repeat the distance, so if you could walk it once but not then be able to walk it again within a reasonable timescale then you should be classed as unable to repeat the activity.

So you can and must use this in your MR

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • april123
    Thank you @CockneyRebel I appreciate your advise I'm waiting for a call still today from doctor so as I can get more medical info on effects of meds extra as concentration is poor having to keep reading reading to take it all in, it's like opening  a can of worms you dont know where it's going to end. P.s I seemed to have 2 conversations going on, this one and mobilty distance 
  • CockneyRebel
    It does make things easier if you can keep all your posts on one thread
  • april123
    If you are moved from enhanced to standard are you then moved from support ESA. 
  • CockneyRebel
    PIP has no direct affect on ESA

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.