Introductions and improvement of conditions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Introductions and improvement of conditions

Autumn29
Autumn29 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone I didn't realise I had joined but I had last June.  I have had so much on my plate with operations illness and trying to sort out pip . I finally got awarded last July for 3 years have osteoarthritis in knees and two other conditions.im 64 yrs had my knee replacement in July just recovering from my second op this week . If things are improving do I cancel my Pip as I'm worried I don't get any other benefits . My husband is low wage  thank you for any advice 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Autumn and welcome

Don' rush to do anything !

Which elements of PIP do you receive ?

And what level ie. standard or enhanced, daily livingand or mobility ?

It is very important at this stage. When you reach retirement age you can carry on with PIP if you have a current award. If you have mobility needs then the rate you have at retirement can never be increased.

I do hope you are getting better :)but Osteo may well stay with you and spread so think carefully

You do have to inform the DWP of any change in your condition but make sure that if you do so the improvement is permanent

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Autumn29

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

It’s great to meet you this afternoon.

Have you applied for any other benefit’s ????

We have got a “benefit calculator” on here.

This will give you an idea of any other benefit’s that might be available for you.

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fcheck&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fcheck&auth=sN%2B7AvRM61Si5RLWTmoSQQ&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Benefit+calculator

Please please let me know if I can help you further????
  • Autumn29
    Thank you kindly CockneyRebel. I get standard living and enhanced mobility.  My mobility  is improving  I have had one knee done I know it' in the other knee . I have a frozen shoulder which might need operating on and just had a large kidney stone removed out of left kidney . Do I have to tell dwp I have had these ops .I was was going to tell them after I have recovered.so confusing if you are doing the right thing or not 
  • Autumn29
    Hi Steve 51 
    Thank you  I did try other benefits but didn' quality  Esa  was turned down not enough NI contributions paid. So that was that and even though hubby on low wage didn' seem to qualify  for others . 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Autumn

No you do not tell them you are having ops. You only need to inform them when your condition has improved.
    By there own requirements that a condition has to be present for three month to eligable for PIP, then an improvement should also be present for the same time.

In no way would I suggest that any body claim their condition is worse than it is in order to get benefits. But think carefully about your ongoing mobility needs.

As things stand you will have a review a year before the end date, Does this take you past your retirement date ? Therefore keeping enhanced mobility onward

If you look at your decision letter it will give you the probable review date some time July 2019 so just over a year to go. If you report a change of circumstance before then you will be subject to a new assessment and a new decision whicch could jeopardise the mobility award post retirement

CR
  • Autumn29
    CockneyRebel 
    I had my new knee last July  my retirement date is 6th July 2018 . On back of my letter it says inform them if you go in hospital  but someone' says that' if in longer that 28days was only in 3 days and 2 days .I know if I report a change of circumstance they take it off me more than likely . I just didn' want them interrogting me if I cancel my claim because I'm starting to improve as I do not need the stress and the last 3 years since 2015 have been hell with my health and having to finish work constant pain I have never experienced in my life .
    You are so kind taking time to answer my questions 
  • CockneyRebel
    Do not cancel your claim !

Only hospital staysover 28 days excluding the days you were admitted and released need to be reported
    so unless you find than marathon running is on the agenda, let sleeping dogs lay.
    Don't poke a sleeping bear with a sharp stick etc

CR
  • Autumn29
    Many thanks CockneyRebel 
    You have put my mind at rest I was in tears this afternoon worrying .
  • CockneyRebel
    I am glad to have helped, it can be very  stressful try and concetrate on your health now.
    But don't be a stranger on here :)

CR
  • Autumn29
    Bless you . I will not from now on . Yes I need to get healthy now

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.