Anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety

SugarCoated
SugarCoated Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
edited April 2018 in Coffee lounge
It's 5am and I'm in bed in severe pain from my HS flare up. I have a huge hard lump on the left side of my body have had it for more than 3 weeks now and the pain gets worse each day. I'm having really bad anxiety right now because of the pain. It just makes me think about so many negative things which starts my panic attacks off. This is my 2nd panic attack I'm having tonight. On a really bad day it's like they don't stop. I've been reading the posts on here to take my mind of the feelings I'm having. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SugarCoated
    Im sorry to hear that you are struggling at the minute.

There is some information on the MIND website about dealing with panic attacks that might be useful to you?

What helps to manage panic attacks?

Panic attacks can be frightening, but there are things you can do to help yourself cope. It could help to keep print these tips out and keep them somewhere easy to find.
    During a panic attack:
    • Focus on your breathing. It can help to concentrate on breathing slowly in and out while counting to five.
    • Stamp on the spot. Some people find this helps control their breathing.
    • Focus on your senses. For example, taste mint-flavoured sweets or gum, or touch or cuddle something soft.
    • Try grounding techniques. Grounding techniques can help you feel more in control. They're especially useful if you experience dissociation during panic attacks. (See our page on self-care for dissociative disorders for more information on grounding techniques.)
    After a panic attack:
    • Think about self-care. It's important to pay attention to what your body needs after you've had a panic attack. For example, you might need to rest somewhere quietly, or eat or drink something.
    • Tell someone you trust. If you feel able to, it could help to let someone know you've had a panic attack. It could be particularly helpful to mention how they might notice if you're having another one, and how you'd like them to help you.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Breathing techniques and mindfulness and distraction techniques help me with anxiety and panic attacks. I go on YouTube and watch or listen to videos to relax me or practise all of the above. Old faithful of breathing into a paper bag can help too. What works for me may not work for you but you will find something that helps. See your gp and get referred to mh team if you haven’t already and  of course get your lump looked at as well. Good luck.
  • SugarCoated
    SugarCoated Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Thank you for the replies, i suffer from severe anxiety and my gp keeps refering me to get help but my depression and anxiety wont let me out of the house. its a vicious cycle. since claiming UC things have been even more stressfull.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I know how you feel. You are not alone.

Brightness