Feeling isolated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling isolated

Shadowdragon
Shadowdragon Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
Hi, i suffer from Fibromyalgia, I cannot walk with it so use a mobility scooter and crutches, i dont get out much and feel lonley and isolated,

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shadowdragon, welcome to the community! It's great to have you here. 

I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling isolated. Do get involved with our community: there are lots of friendly members who are always up for a chat, and if there's anything we can assist you with, do let us know. Our coffee lounge chats may be a good place to start.

I'm also tagging in @FaldaGala, who also has fibromyalgia and has joined the community today!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shadowdragon

Welcome to our online community/family.

It’s great to meet you this afternoon.

Yes I’m in the same “boat/scooter”

Please please let me know if I can help/support you today!!!!!

Please don’t feel “looney & isolated” now that you have found your “new family”

We are all here to “help & support each other” 

Please please “dive in” 

We are all here for you!!!

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Shadowdragon Pleased to meet you.  How are you?  Welcome

Understand feeling isolated lonely.  So was I joined here.  Made new friends.

Fantastic forum and informative.  Very friendly.  Am here as all the community here to listen.

When you ready tell me more about you self if you wish to.

I just am on my own but when I come on here feel sunshine in my heart again.

Hope you feel better and I know it is not easy.

Any problems or issues we all share and care.

Please take care

The one and only Spiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Tellurian1
    Tellurian1 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Hi @Shadowdragon. I am a newbie on here too and I totally get the loneliness and isolation. I don't even know myself at the moment and I dread those long hours on my own when all I have to keep me company are my own thoughts. 

Life gets very 'small' doesn't it? You go from being dynamic to not being able to buy spuds on your own or without back up!

I'm headed over to the coffee lounge chats linked by Pippa - may be I'll see you over there.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Tellurian1 Sorry what you going through not easy.  Am on here any time .  You wish to have a chat ask me anything.

I come on here all the time I have makes the day better.   Am on my own and have found being here helps.

Just the long days and nights go shorter if I have some one to talk to.

Have learnt to adapt and have been disabled from birth.

Have a mental condition.  Anxiety and depression.  What helps knowing come on here and speak to people like yourself.

I understand the issues with loneliness.

Hope to speak to you soon when ever you wish to.

The one and only spiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Tellurian1
    @thespiceman - so up and down at the moment - one minute I can see a future of sorts, the next I feel useless and unworthy. I've battled with depression on and off for most of my life and am genuinely scared of these feelings. I don't want to be alone with thoughts.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Tellurian1 Thank you for reply.  Please I do understand having anxiety with depression.

Sorry you are not good at the minute

I have days of up and down and negativity.  What helps me is  Having things in to place to comfort and ease.  No one is telling you what to do.  I just know having certain coping methods and strategies in place help me.  First one is start talking either to my friends here.  Also have names and numbers to call.  If I need and seek help.

Please can I ask what coping methods and strategies' have you put into place.

I know it is not easy talking.  Also the feelings and emotions you have you need either to talk to some one like Samaritan's if they become worse.

Have you got any support from any mental health charities.  Please may I ask.

Often by accessing their knowledge and information.  They can provide ways to cope.

I often speak to my GP who I am regular contact with.

Please take care 

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Shadowdragon
    Hi

Thanks for the warm welcome its very appreciated, im glad there's understanding people out there, I wont say people like me, as I honesty wouldn't wish my life on anyone at the moment. i definatley will be a regular when i get the nerve up!! Anxiety/mental health is another issue,  I know there are worst off people in the world, but its hard to accept at 4am after another painful night of not sleeping!

Cheers

• Tellurian1
    Morning @Shadowdragon

I've had a couple of good nights sleep thanks to a perscribed muscle relaxant. I've had it in the drawer for ages so I don't know why I wasn't taking it before! Another example of fatigue and low mood making it hard or impossible to make good and rational decisions! 

Have you got a plan for today? Anything to look forward to?

• Shadowdragon
    Hi sorry its been 2 days to reply im not too good atm. Had to cancel a trip back home due to my mental health.

My wife has two weeks off work which is nice, the weather is not so bad she is putting a new pond in the garden as the old one started to leak, we have had it for 15 years. So i been sat on the decking watching her work and giving Sagely advice on where to put the stones haha...im sure im annoying her but she wouldnt say so bless her.

Hope you all had a nice weekend and have a good week.

Any exciting plans for the week?
  • Tellurian1
    A trip to the benefits office on Tuesday and a dr's appt on Wednesday. Not much to look forward too.
  • tigris8909
    tigris8909 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi
    Lovely to meet you all, I have Fibromyalgia, ME and many other conditions, but don't want to write a list to be reminded of them.  I too feel isolated and lonely, even though I have my partner, 8 cats and five budgies.  These illnesses affect everyday life, sick of looking at four walls but at the same time if I go out I have too much pain and exhaustion.  Love to all xxxx
  • Tellurian1
    Hi @tigris8909 - 8 cats!! That's a full time job!! I have 3! 

This whole pain and exhaustion thing - it's too much isn't it? Whilst I'm really proud of my achievements today - I got the bus and finally got some paperwork to the Benefits office (only a week overdue!), my ankles and elbows are playing a merry tune tonight and I'm wondering how early is too early to call it a day and go to bed! This isn't how I planned my life would be!

The Fleabags don't mind me having an early night but I thought, now the kids are grown, I'd have MORE of a life not less of one!

Do you have any interests or hobbies?

• tigris8909
    tigris8909 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I love my fur babies, infact I love all animals.  My partner cares for my cats and budgies but I usually end up with about 5 cats on my bed wanting loads of love, but they also do with my partner, he has so many and so do I.   I don't really have any hobbies any more, used to love swimming, sauna, steam room, but have been in agony with my hip, back, neck shoulders etc so don't get out much, spending most of my life on my bed now, as get a little comfort from it compared to other places.  I had a bariatric balling put in my stomach, end of January, lost nearly 2 and a half stone, OMG worse thing I ever had, plus I thought it would help with my pain, but pain even worse now.  I feel that if my pain is bad and I whence or groan around them, people just don't know what to say so it makes it awkward around others, I feel I am all alone in my own world as obviously other people don't know the pain I am in.  I worked all my life, I am 43, 2 years ago I had to give up work, and now it's like what do I do, even though most days not fit for anything.  I am from a Greek family, lived in Greece for 6 years as an adult, I miss it so much.  I saved lots of animals in Greece, found them homes and even brought one back to the UK with me which was worth every penny, even though she is no longer with us, but we gave her a good couple of years extra with us.  Sorry am talking a lot but one of my coping mechanisms for tiredness xxx
  • Tellurian1
    It's good to talk! And I, for one, feel the need to show people that I'm more than just a sick woman!!
    I was a chef and I love food! I love Greek food - one of my best jobs was working in a Greek restaurant complete with plate smashing! I could murder a meze! And a bit of Zorba right now! :D

Brightness