Across the ocean — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Across the ocean

I live in the Rocky Mountains and am curious if anyone has connections to anyone else beside me not native to the Great Britain area.  I have friends here from overseas, but it interesting to me what surfaces as concerns. Am I fortunate with the services we are getting, am I delusional as to what is considered helpful or how is my opinion of being a self advocate seen in other countries? 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pines . So you are one of the famous Rocky Mountain Pines? :smile: Good to hear from you again.
    I don't think we have many on here who are from outside the UK (Great Britain and Northern Ireland), though I know some have joined from the Indian sub-continent (just possibly in the hope of finding a route into the UK). I haven't met a US citizen (to my knowledge) on here before.
    In large part that is going to be down to the big differences between the way social care in the UK and the US is practised. Our agencies are National and have a tendency to be monolithic, and our benefits are Nationally determined, so that PIP or ESA are essentially the same whether you live in the centre, the extreme North or the extreme South of the country. I don't know, at all, how your system operates.
    I haven't seen anything of yours that struck me as delusional, for what that is worth :smile:
    Best to you,
    Richard
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4 Listener
    Yeah I am a Rocky Mountain resident.  Lots of pines here.  I am curious what is ESA and PIP?  I want to understand socialized medical care.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi pines and welcome

These are benefits paid to people that cannot work due to sickness or disabiliy orneed help with daily activities and mobility

ESA - Employment Support Allowance
    PIP - Personal Independance Payment

Claimants are assessed as to the ammount of assisstance they need

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pines How are you pleased to meet you.

Welcome.  From the USA great like all thing Americana especially food.

Love your sport Baseball and NFL.

Especially NFL

Hope to speak to you soon

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
    Thank you for this clarity.  My son is on SLS which is supported living services.  Sometime when funding allows he will get CLS which is comprehensive life services.  I receive an income for being his PCP which is a primary care provider.  He has DS which is Down Syndrome, mostly non verbal, I don't have any known label for having brain trauma from a stroke or heart failure just mom.  Our DDRC or developmental disabilities resource center provides the services for Ryan to attend day program 4 days a week.  I can not receive any money for being disabled because we are over the income bracket line~my husband works.  We are not a socialized medical providing system but the idea of it is quite intriguing. I lived in Quebec for 3 years and thought their system was fair, there is a lot of how comes I have about prescriptions and benefits here.  We will be traveling to Iceland and Norway in Sept. and would like an understanding of their systems.  Food here is ok as far as I am concerned, I need to buy unprocessed and spend hours preparing meals to include freezing and canning.  Too much is wasted in the commercial world.  I am not an organized sports follower, we hike and play in the mountains for non competitive fun.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pines

“Wow” it’s great to meet you today.

You sure sound in a lovely part of the world.

Our benefit system is having a major overhaul at present making things very interesting indeed.

Yes it’s a “crime/crazy” at how much food goes to “landfill”

As many parts of the world are begin for food & water.

How is your day going today?????
  • [Deleted User]
    I am mourning the death pf my mom, she passed last Saturday.  Sticking to routine activities that are needing to be done at home.  I enjoy reading, knitting, culinary arts, and being quiet.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry for your loss, @pines. I hope today is as kind as possible to you.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    A little lost for words here, @pines; so very very sorry for your loss.
    Still here, and listening,
    Affectionate best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pines

I’m very very sorry to hear about your loss.

Unfortunatly this is something that we all face in our life time.

Thus it will hit us very hard & unexpectedly potentially.

As they say “we have to live our lives to the full”
                    &  
        “enjoy every minute”

”God Bless”
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry for your loss

Brightness