Does anyone enjoy reading? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone enjoy reading?

Comments

• Rossi46fan
    Rossi46fan Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Would be very much an avid reader, narrow field though.

Action such as Mitch Rapp, Jack Reacher, Gunny Swanson.

New Scottish writer in that genre is great; Jack McSporran and his "Maggie Black" series.

I'm biased though :D I won a coffee mug from him.

Also like police procedurals: Ian Rankin, Anne Cleeves etc.
  • bobives789
    bobives789 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    anyone here interested in computers? or internet
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    The interiors and technology remain a mystery to me, but I love computers and the internet. 
  • Rossi46fan
    Rossi46fan Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Same, spend too long on em maybe though.

Great learning assistant.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    I've been trying to push computer based learning for at least a decade. Trying to get it made policy. Still a battle, but still fighting.

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    My aim for this year is to try reading agin, been 3 years since I last read and it was my Bobbie but  on concentrate.

maybe start which the disability handbook Iv just ordered.

Not very exciting but I’m scared to try incase I can’t then feel Iv failed.

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger

sandyp196 said:
    I love reading but it costs me a fortune in library fines. I find it difficult to get books back on time and am always gettig fined. It's £5 per book. 
    I love crime novels. Iv read the entire patricia Cornwell collection,  Karin slaughter toO.  I got quite depressed when there was no more books to read, but then the library suggested karen rose. I checked and she had quite a generous catalogue so I would 'give her a go.. She is now my favourite and I'm working through the books in sequence.  I love how main characters in one book get token mentions in following books so I get an idea what happened to them.
    I love those types of drive novels too. James Patterson is good too. Try your charity shop or doctor surgery or eBay.

• Shadowdragon
    Shadowdragon Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    HI

I read quite a bit, I have a Kindle unlimited subscription, Maybe this would be good for you @sandyp196 its £8 a month, cheaper than £5 fines. I love Sci-fi and Fantasy novels. Although I do try to avoid the ones where there are 12 books in a series as I kinda get bored of the characters after book 3 hehe..

A good one turned into a series was "The Expanse" on Netflix about to go into Series 3, it followed the books quite accurately unlike some.

Another is Altered Carbon great books, but series didn't do it justice.
  • Shadowdragon
    @bobives789 I have a degree in computer science and a bit of a geek hehe
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @bobives789 I know my way around a computer and I love researching on the Internet. Should have been a private investigater in another life as I am very curious and determined. 
  • BigBaffie
    BigBaffie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, I love reading and will give any genre a try. I don't have a television, I subscribe to kindle unlimited and I read 4+ books a week. My favourite genres are crime, thrillers, Sci-Fi, fantasy and factual.
  • Geniedebs
    Geniedebs Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    I love reading, my disability does not allow me to do anything more than a certain amount of walking each day and I have that mentality in which I am always curious. 

Always have several books on the go, both fiction and non fiction. At the moment, two true crime books set in the 19th century and a book on domestic servants which is for research, as several of my ancestors were in that occupation.
  • Shadowdragon
    I imagine the same kinds of hobbies come up for people with disabilities as it narrows the field of options, and which hobbies have accessibility. I wouldnt not be able to hold a large book to read for any length of time but my phone i can plus use a holder and its hands free.

I think Computer access and reading are bound together now with Kindle/e readers and apps on tables/phones. My carers wife works in a charity shop and they cant sell the books they are donated anymore, they cant give them away sometimes. Unfortunately its becoming a dead media, £6 for a book or get unlimited kindle for £9 a month, especially if you read 4 books a week.

the same goes for DVDs, people are just not buying them Second hand or new as you can stream/store online now a lot cheaper. £10 for a DVD or wait a month and watch on Netflix etc for £10 a month.

Wow I wrote an essay sorry :)
  • Geniedebs
    Shadowdragon. You do make some good points though in an essay. :) 

However, I  love scouring charity shops for anything they might have. I recently purchased one, in a local charity shop, Frith's British Compendium which has been very useful to my research and which I might not have got elsewhere at the grand price of £1.50.
  • Shadowdragon
    @Geniedebs that's great. The trouble with the area I live in the charity shops only have top quality items and charge nearly the same as high street prices, they are more like boutiques than charity shops. No rummaging in them where we are. Plus due to rates in the area out local village is pretty much charity shops and estate agents.

To keep on topic our library only opens part time due to lack of demand, We did have a book shop but it closed as there was no demand :( It is very sad to see.
  • Geniedebs
    It is very sad to hear that your library only opens part time. Is your village populated  more by newcomers, of a younger age, who are more likely to use the internet, kindles or other electronic technology on the whole?
  • Shadowdragon
    @Geniedebs yup no demand for their services anymore, even the older end of people i know use technology now, even my 79 year old mother in law has a tablet, which i maintain :neutral: she has her bible on there and plays scrabble etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Geniedebs
    Oh that is in contrast to my mother, aged 88, who has no wish to be connected to broadband. She manages to pay bills, order new clothes and do everyday things without using a computer. But, I wonder how long this will last.
  • Shadowdragon
    @victoriad A schoolkid a few years ago for a project came up with an idea that really took off, we have unused phone boxes that are turned into trust libraries, where people put books and take books, as they are worth nothing people are happy to leave them in an unsecured place. I think the schoolkid won an award. Great idea too.

Brightness