Early health retirement and work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Early health retirement and work

Della
Della Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2018 in Work and employment
Hi, I'm in a lot of pain today, so just lay down to rest my back.

I still have not heard from work in regards to seeing the Occupatly Health doctor to access me for early health retirement. I am getting stressed and worried as my work seem to be dragging out the whole process. This leaves me in limbo and i am beginning to worry about bills.

My consultant says I have the following. Anyone got any advice for me whilst i wait for an outcome? Degenerative disease lumbarspine. 2. Abnormal lumbosacral junction with SPECT CT uptake left L5 transverse process pseudarthrosis. 3 Very abnormal almost absent facet on the left with pseudarthrosis in its place between the transverse process and the sacrum, which is hot on the SPECT part of the scan. Yesterday i filled in a form for access to work and asked for help. I am seeing the doctor O.H. and im worried about what will happen.

Have you gor on information on seeing the O.H. retirement doctor, what should i bring with me?. I also had Emcapalitis 3 years ago which left me with bad balance, and tension migranins. Then i had skin cancer on my forhead two years ago. It all seems to just get worst and worst. My vision is also beginning to get worst and im sure its to do with this back pain. I had new lenses put in 2 years ago and my sight was good, but now its again playing up. Sorry for off loading but i am beginning to get pulled down by all this.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear you're struggling, @Della.

@mwila_scope, is there anything you can suggest for facilitating an ill-health retirement assessment?
  • Eva
    Eva Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Della 

I'm new here so please bear with me. Has your employer informed you they will refer you to Occ Health with a view to ill health retirement? Retirement is only if:

1. You have left your job.
    2. You are incapable of doing your job due to physical/mental illness.
    3. You are assessed as continuing to be incapable of doing the job due to your ill health until your normal expected retirement age. This is something your pension scheme administrator must get a doctor to confirm.

If not, then people may be considered for ill health dismissal instead which is slightly different. 

Things can vary slightly from company to company. Maybe look at your employer's procedure for how ill health retirement works there and timescales. But yes, they are often long winded. 

Usually you would not need to take anything with you unless instructed otherwise as in terms of medical info, the Occ Health Doctor will have been passed this by your doctors if you have provided consent. 

Perhaps check with your employer or alternatively directly with the Occ Health company to see if they require anything further. 

Hope that helps and good luck :) 

Brightness